Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I have a bit of a problem with my furry child, I'm hoping someone can help or has been in the same situation...

I have a miniature dachshund about 10+ years old. Her name is Duchess!

We adopted Duchess from my grandmother when she got too old and had to move into an old age home. While living with my grandmother (who lived in a very tiny flat) she wasn't taken for walks, played with, was scolded often, etc. i.e she didn't have the best life. For about 4 years every Saturday my mother would go help my grandmother with chores and would take Duchess for walks and play with her, gave her a lot of attention.

We've had her for 3 years now and she's become severely attached to my mother, I mean the worst case of separation anxiety I've ever seen in an animal. My mother recently stopped working so she's at home all day now and my dog follows her around non stop. She's become 100x worse now that my mother is here constantly (we actually joke and say we're going to sue my dog for being a stalker :D)

She's always jumping on my mothers leg asking to be picked up. If my mother leaves the house Duchess cries and becomes distressed. I'm a huge animal lover so I've tried comforting her in my own ways but it doesn't seem to help and it makes me sad to hear her crying for my mom :(

Tldr; my dachshund has separation anxiety and stalks my mother.

My question is: Is there anything we can do to stop her being so clingy? We've tried going out the door and coming back 5 mins later to show my dachshund that we wont leave her forever. I've tried keeping her occupied when my mother is out, etc

I'll appreciate any help possible! it's becoming so bad to a point my mom can't do anything during the day cause she has to hold my sausage dog 24/7.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We had the same issue with our dog. She couldn't be without me just one sec.
Started flipping around, peeing,..

What I basically did was putting her with my husband in a room, go do some things in another room (starting with shorter periods of time like 1 minute, 2 minutes,... building it up)
Everytime I re-enter the room where my dog was, I didn't give her attention. Basically don't make a big deal out of entering and leaving the room.

I did this for a while and everyday, but she is finally a lot better at it. I did it whilst I was cleaning the house, otherwise it takes up a lot of you time. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts