Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Separation anxiety in a 10 week old puppy

774 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ryanolivas 
#1 ·
I just recently adopted a jack Russell mix puppy. The puppy lived in a large pen with his 4 other siblings until I picked him up last week when he was 9 weeks old. I have been trying to crate train him but he continues to urinate in the crate each time. I believe it is possibly due to separation anxiety because he can hold his bladder for 8hrs while he sleeps in the bed with me at night no problem. He will sleep in the crate if I stay in the room with him but if I leave even for a short period of time he pees. He used to cry and howls when I would leave the room but has since stopped. I have tried everything from making the crate small enough to where he can only turn around and lay down, to giving him toys and bones to play with. I have tried slowly introducing him to the crate by putting him in there staying in the room for 5-10 minutes with him and then leaving for 5 to see how he does. I am at a stand still as to what to do. He doesn’t seem to care about peeing and laying it in.

#2 ·
I wouldn't sleep with him anymore until he gets used to sleep alone.

I had a Teckel named Clo who did the same: she would hold it during night if she slept with me, but if I left her outside my room she would pee and even poop.
The moment I noticed this I stopped sleeping with her. I would remove her water 3 hours before going to sleep, to have her empty during night, and walk her 10-20 minutes before going to bed during as much time as necesary for her to pee. If she did, I would reward her.
It took 2 months to stop this issue.

During the process, you could put incontinence pads in her crate to clean it more easily.

#3 ·
At ten week, I wouldn't expect the dog to go more than 2.5 hours without having to pee, poop or both, day or night. 1 hour per month of age and, the dog doesn't care if it's day or night.

Seems pretty normal to me that he refuses to pee in what he sees as the bed (your bed) but, doesn't know the crate is his bed yet. Make the crate his nap and resting place, put toys in there and, feed him in there. He will get the idea that the crate is not the place to potty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.