Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dog sitting for my girlfriend, who's in orientation for a new job. The orientation is in another town, so we're staying in a pet-friendly hotel. I was looking forward to it--I like her dog, a vizsla-mutt, and I like exploring new cities. I figured I'd spend a lot of time with the dog, both outside on walks and in the hotel room, and some time away from the dog doing some site seeing.

Today was the first day. I spent all morning and early afternoon with the dog. Then I planned to go grocery shopping. I put the dog in her crate with her dog bed and a toy, and gave her some treats...

As soon as I left the room and shut the door behind me, she started whining SO LOUD. She was basically screaming. She does this at home, but usually stops after a minute or two. This time, it lasted 15 minutes (I stood listening in the hallway) before I had to give in and go back in the room so she'd shut up, because people were coming out of their rooms to see what was going on.

I CANNOT spend five days holed up in a hotel room with only periodic walks to interrupt my day. I need to go to the store! I need to eat! I need to see museums and such so my human mind doesn't implode with boredom! This dog has got to be alone, just for a few hours each day. What do I do? She's not my dog, and five days is not enough time for me to train her. HELP!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I went a couple rounds with Separation Anxiety a few months ago. Not fun! We lost. Doesn't mean you will! Some things that you might try are putting the crate in the bathroom and getting her in it 15ish minutes before you leave and closing the door. An article of clothing that you don't mind her slobbering on might be nice to stick in the crate with her-so she has your scent. This way, she smells you but doesn't see you and you're still walking around getting ready. Maybe keep the TV on so she thinks people are there. I would be very quiet when leaving the hotel room.

Another thought (I know, this one sucks because your girlfriend will have been at orientation all day) is that when she comes back, you head out for food.

Has she been like this at home? If there is a pet store around, a Thundervest could be a handy investment. Shelters use them for their more stressed out dogs.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I'm really not surprised the dog freaked out! If she suffers mild SA at home then it is obviously going to be 10 times worse in a strange environment, she will be unsure & confused. My dog has never suffered with SA, but on the odd occasion we have stayed at hotels with her we just don't leave her alone at all, for the reasons I mentioned. Fortunately for me there are 2 of us, so between my husband & I we can sort something out. I'm not sure there's much you can do, the hotel is no place to start training, you have to think of the other guests. You may just have to put this down to experience I'm afraid, in the meantime you could make it your mission for the week to find as many places as possible which are dog friendly (that could be a fun thing to do). At least this will enable you to get out & about. Good luck x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts