Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I recently adopted a 1 yr old lab mix. He is extremely well-behaved most of the time, but has serious separation anxiety/attachment issues.

It began with him being overly attached to me. I was the one who picked him up from the shelter. He would cry if I went into the bathroom and closed the door. He would cry if I left the house even if my husband was still home.

A lot of this has improved substantially. I can shower without him whining at the bathroom door. He seems to have no real issue with me going behind a closed door in the house and he'll allow me to leave if my husband is around.

However, we still haven't seen any improvement in his behavior when we leave him alone. We originally wanted to use w crate when we left the house, but any and all crate training caused him serious distress and he'd break out of the crate. We were worried he'd hurt himself if that continues so we decided to leave him out in our bedroom.

This is still causing issues for him. If me and my husband put him in the bedroom (with toys, treats, Kong, etc.) for any period of time whether we stay in the home or leave he whines, jumps, scratches the door and chews the trim.

We've tried playing music. We are using anxiety supplements recommended by the vet. We don't give him excess attention when we are around or make a big deal of coming/going. He's been getting lots of exercise. Nothing seems to work. All our online research seems to lead to the same answers that don't work.

Any new ideas?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Lauren I just adopted a 6 month old part lab and have been experiencing some of the same things. My response was to give her more attention in an effort to let her feel more secure. There are inevitable situations where there is separation but I keep those to a minimum. It helps that there are a couple more dogs here, also. It has been a few weeks and the situation is improving.
I'm not saying my answers and responses are good for everyone, but I do think that giving my pup time to get acclimated and start feeling secure is helping.
Also, from the very first, she got fed in a crate and she gets her very best treats in a crate (I have 2 sets of crates for everyone, one for feeding and one for sleeping). She got sliced hot dogs, pieces of sausage, and smelly stuff like that, sure to get her attention.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts