Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl is turning 14 this year. She's in great health for her age however has just recently started chomping her teeth for about 5 seconds. I have tried going online to search but only come across teeth chattering. I've spent a lot of time looking at videos and can't come close what Riley is doing. She will chomp maybe 5/6 times before stopping.

We're going to the vet but I thought I would reach out to see if anyone else has ever had this experience to get a little insight.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
401 Posts
I wonder if it might be a habit she is developing linked to canine cognitive dysfunction (doggy dementia). Humans with dementia sometimes develop rhythmic motion habits. Does she do anything else that seems different or new?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good thing you are going to the vet because it could be anything, even just some food particles stuck somewhere between her teeth. Due to her advanced age though, you can never be too careful. If she is in otherwise good health, it is hopefully nothing to worry about. Are you feeding her senior food by the way? I ask because I don't know if it is actually more beneficial than the regular food a dog knows and love. I think the usual food and a supplement or wellness protocol would be good enough. In particular there's a flaxseed oil and cottage cheese based product that has helped many senior dogs overcome serious illnesses like arthritis and cancer. They have testimonies and studies on their website because it's based on the Budwig protocol from the 1950s. I don't have experience owning or caring for older dogs so I'd like to know what you think of senior food if you don't mind...
Anyway I hope you and Riley are doing well and that the teeth thing is not serious!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts