Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We need help...

I have a 14 year old Eskipoo who’s behavior has progressively gotten worse over the years. Despite multiple and consistent attempts to curb bad behavior, it’s gotten to a point where it’s out of control. Jumping up on chairs to get to food on the dining room and kitchen table, jumping and knocking over trash cans to get to it’s contents, destroying toilet paper rolls in every bathroom, going to the bathroom all over the house (#1 and #2), etc. He won’t even try to hide it - many times he’ll literally jump up and grab food directly out of my child’s hands, off his plate, etc - or knock over a trash can while we’re in the same room... there’s no shame. He doesn’t care anymore. Obviously we are quick to jump onto it to curb the behavior, especially when we’re right there, but we’re not always right there (sometimes we’re not home when he does this). Just tonight he knocked a full burger off the table and got ketchup all over my son and carpet even with my son yelling at him to get down. And he knows he’s wrong because when I jump up out of my chair he runs out of the room with his tail between his legs.... but when I went to the kitchen to grab cleaning supplies, he ran right back in and started eating it!! Then I yell at him, so he goes into the hallway and pees on the carpet. It’s unreal.

I’m at a complete loss. I have no idea what to do and I feel like our lives are a in a state of complete disarray. I love him to death, but his behavior is so unbelievable lately that it’s causing nothing but stress. My wife has gotten to a point where she’s completely done and wants to just give him away to be done with it (obviously I won’t let that happen - but the point is she’s done). What should we do??

·
Registered
189 Posts
How have you been dealing with this problems? Can you keep him away from the trashcans and the table when food is out?
The destructive behavior of the toilet paper could be sign of under stimulation. How much exercise and activity does he get?

Why he is toileting inside can be due to stress or have to do with the fact that he is getting older. Maybe he can’t hold himself as long anymore, have ypu tried taking him out more regularly?

Have you invested time and training in teaching him to not take the food from you? Rather than just try to stop it when it happens?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We don’t have a crate for him, and we do have another dog (who’s 15) - so I’m very cognizant of doing anything to him that we don’t do to the other dog (i.e. locking him behind a gate, crating him, etc. I’m protective of his quality of life and dont want to do anything that can suddenly change it to add stress.
As far as going to the bathroom in the house, he has a habit of marking. We’ve have him wearing diapers, but the amount that he urinates in them has substantially gone up. Regarding #2, you could walk him for 30 min and he won’t go. The min you bring him back in, he’ll run into a room and go. Then he eats it.

As far as exercise, he’s generally not a very active dog. He’s never played fetch... he literally will watch the ball just roll past him. Especially at his age, he’s pretty much like Yellow Dog from Funny Farm at this point, except the when he actually is up and walking around, he’s never up to any good.

We generally try to curb the behavior with yelling, spanking, but only if we can catch him in the actual act. We don’t discipline if it’s too far after the fact because we know the dog won’t associate.
His behavior has never been perfect, but it’s been tolerable. Lately, he’s pretty much gone into F You mode. Nothing has changed from our perspective in terms of what we do with him, As in you’re not spending less time with him, paying less attention to him, everything has been the same.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I’m not suggesting crating by any means, I’m actually very against this trend of crating dogs. What I mean is that you maybe can put him out of the kitchen while you’re eating or food is left out. You can do the same with your other dog as well.

The bathroom problems sounds like he isn’t correctly housebroken. He have gotten a habit of doing his business indoors and that’s what he is used to. Making him wear diapers only contribute to the problem since it makes it okay for him to go inside. You really need to start from square one of housebreaking him. Take one week for example, the first few days you take him out every hour. Increase the time as he is getting better. By the end of the week you should be able to see progress. Clean your house thoroughly with the right equipment to remove the smell of pee, this smell invites him to pee there.

Just because he doesn’t like fetch doesn’t mean he isn’t an active dog who needs the right amount of exercise. However, I understand that he is an old dog but maybe some activities which is appropriate for older dogs is a good idea to make him satisfied.

We generally try to curb the behavior with yelling, spanking, but only if we can catch him in the actual act.
Please choose a different method for solving these problems. Yelling and spanking is old fashioned and harmful training methods. By this method you’re trying to scare the dog into obedience, not a very kind way of treating our beloved dogs. I’m not against correcting your dog, but you have to do it in the right way. And often the positive training methods are more effective. For instance, you seem to have had these problems for a decade now and it haven’t improved. Try to teach him and reward him when he is doing right, not punish him by doing wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please feel free to suggest a different method of discipline. I have a treat jar. Every time he goes to the bathroom outside he gets a treat and praise. He still goes in the house. When he’s not misbehaving, he’s sleeping. If he’s awake, he’s doing something bad. Please explain how you would like me to respond when we’re eating dinner and he jumps up on the table and snatches food out of my sons hands and almost bites him.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Please explain how you would like me to respond when we’re eating dinner and he jumps up on the table and snatches food out of my sons hands and almost bites him.
Preferably I wouldn’t have him in the kitchen while there’s food there. Does he have to be in there if this is causing such a problem for you and is jeopardizing the safety of your child? If you really want to have him in there while you’re eating, make him a spot and tell him to lie down. If he gets up you just calmly takes him back to the spot, and then you repeat this until he stays in the place.

Regarding the peeing it doesn’t seem to be enough to give him a treat every time he pees outside. You need to start from square one of continuously taking him outside to do his business. The peeing in the house has become a habbit and you need to break it. A treat for everytime he pees outside won’t be enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can gate them both in the kitchen if need be. Would that cause stress? It would potentially solve for the food issue... Still doesn’t solve for destroying the TP, knocking over trash cans, etc. Any thoughts there?

·
Registered
189 Posts
No, just make them a good and comfortable spot to be in, to relax. They might throw some tantrum in the beginning but they should get used to it quite quickly. If your dogs are okay with having bones close to each other you can give them some bone or maybe a kong filled with frozen food, to keep them occupied.

On the toilet paper issue, can’t you just close the door to the toilet paper? As I said it could also be a sign of under stimulation. He doesn’t get enough of activity and therefore he is creating his own. Try looking into some mental activities where he gets to use his mind and nose.

The same with the trashcans, how many are there, do you have them throughout your house? Can you prevent him of reaching the trashcans?

·
Super Moderator
3,562 Posts
Given your dog's age and years of bad habits, I would focus more on management.

First, you can restrict your dog's access to your home by simply closing doors and putting up a few baby gates. Miles, the dog in my avatar, was a sweetheart, but he loved tipping over the bathroom waste cans and shredding toilet paper. The easiest fix was always closing the bathroom doors.

At mealtimes, we never gave him any food from the table. But, I would give him a greenie, which he would carry away and leave us in peace.

In regards to his accidents, have you recently taken him to the vet for a check-up? He may have a UTI. Also, just like humans, dogs can experience incontinence as they age. In that case, you may want to consider a belly band or use gates to keep him out of certain rooms.

As Sunflower said, the yelling and spanking aren't working. I would stop trying to punish him. Instead, look for ways to manage his movement and access.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Please feel free to suggest a different method of discipline. I have a treat jar. Every time he goes to the bathroom outside he gets a treat and praise. He still goes in the house. When he’s not misbehaving, he’s sleeping. If he’s awake, he’s doing something bad. Please explain how you would like me to respond when we’re eating dinner and he jumps up on the table and snatches food out of my sons hands and almost bites him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would have a veterinarian check him out. He may be getting some dementia. Don't rule that out. The vet may also have some suggestions as to his behavior. Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts