Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,my dog Sally is fifteen and shes nice but she has joint problems. I walk her once a day-once every other day,sometimes with my friend's dog.I don't walk her too long,or too far,and I don't go very fast when i walk. She sometimes falls and her face hits the ground first.I sit on the ground (her laying on the ground) and i pet her for a bit,but i dont laugh at her.Then I help her up and take her home to get water and lay down.
I'm twelve so I don't really know whats wrong with her

·
Registered
632 Posts
It is hard to see them get old and all that accompanies aging. Even short, slow walks might be extremely difficult for her.

Has she been to the vet recently and/or are your parents willing to take her? Does she have arthritis? Is she on any pain medication?

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It actually seems like short walks have been helping her.

She has cancer,so she went about a month ago and he said she does have arthritis and hip problems.
It is hard to see them get old and all that accompanies aging. Even short, slow walks might be extremely difficult for her.

Has she been to the vet recently and/or are your parents willing to take her? Does she have arthritis? Is she on any pain medication?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Is she on anything for her arthritis? Would your parents be willing to pick up some glucosamine/chondroitin (triple strength) pills at Walmart? Supplements can help a very great deal in mobility problems in an elderly dog.

What is the status of her cancer? How advanced is it?

·
Registered
455 Posts
As I've said before, an MSM/chondroitin supplement (better than glucosamine) should help her. She may need some rimadyl or something at this point too. Talk to your vet about pain relief options. Don't be afraid to speak up! It's important.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Like Mhop mentioned, there's some supplements that may help, I use Cytel-M which is used for arthritis in dogs and it does help with joint problem, cheaper ones like glucosamine and chondrotin may also help if the arthritis isn't to bad.

How's Sally's eyesight? If it's getting really bad, or if she's blind, she'll be stumbling more. After my old boy went blind he'd stumble on walks and I had to be careful to guide him around anything that might cause him to stumble.

As long as she's willing to go on walks then it's fine to take her, and I agree that it likely helps her. Just make sure to not walk her to far and to keep her from running. My old boy used to try to run but if I let him he'd spend the next day limping.

·
Registered
562 Posts
She is sorta blind but not all the way.
She has joint treats that work soo good!!
You may need to get something a little stronger if, like you mentioned in another thread, she's still stiff in her rear legs/hind end. I'm not sure what kind of joint treats you have there, but you can always bump up the dosage a little more with some supplements you can pick up at the store, and just put in her food.

If she's falling more when you go to walk her, try to position her so she's next to you, and you can keep your hand looped around inside her harness handle to assist her as she steps. That way if she does stumble, you can help hold her up, or at least guide her to the ground so she doesn't fall so hard. :( Like when you fell the other day, it can really damage an older dog just like if an elderly human fell. Old people/dogs break easier.

Also, I'm still not really clear on how far her cancer is advanced? You've mentioned cancer several times, but I don't think I've ever heard you explain it.... Do you know if it is on her skin somewhere or is it inside her body?

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well,she has a tumor next to her tail with cancer.The vets took out some of it and did tests,it showed up as cancer but not what kind.They are thinking of doing surgery to remove it,but its 1,000 dollars and we have to save up.
I'm saving up money for any extra vaccines for my kitty or sally or some emergency vet thing comes up.I really like paying for her and taking care of her so i want to start pitching in on vet stuff and helping her.

You may need to get something a little stronger if, like you mentioned in another thread, she's still stiff in her rear legs/hind end. I'm not sure what kind of joint treats you have there, but you can always bump up the dosage a little more with some supplements you can pick up at the store, and just put in her food.

If she's falling more when you go to walk her, try to position her so she's next to you, and you can keep your hand looped around inside her harness handle to assist her as she steps. That way if she does stumble, you can help hold her up, or at least guide her to the ground so she doesn't fall so hard. :( Like when you fell the other day, it can really damage an older dog just like if an elderly human fell. Old people/dogs break easier.

Also, I'm still not really clear on how far her cancer is advanced? You've mentioned cancer several times, but I don't think I've ever heard you explain it.... Do you know if it is on her skin somewhere or is it inside her body?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts