Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have little problem with my GSP.
I must admit, he’s spoiled and is allowed lot of things. He’s very nice and friendly dog, but stubborn as hell.
But recently he started acting little more aggressive. He started to choose people that he does not like. He growls and barks really threateningly and I think that he would bite them, if given a chance. So far he never bit anyone.
I would like to stop this behavior, but I am not sure what to do. I tried positive training with treats, but he completely ignores me.
Does anyone have advice or any experience with GSP?

PS: Sorry for any errors, English is not my first language.

Edit: Thanks for advice, I appreciate it. Thou there are some points I need to clarify. My dog is 3 years old and just started to act like this recently. He’s not reactive towards all people. He’s friendly and lets most people pet him. Often I have to stop him from licking them.
His aggression is just towards few people he decides he does not like. I have no idea how he decides. He starts to threatening them even if they are on other side of street.

·
Super Moderator
1,855 Posts
Dogs aren't ”stubborn”, there is always a reason why they don't do as we ask.

Aggression is almost always rooted in anxiety, so he likely feels anxious and puts on a big display of 'I'm big and scary, don't mess with me'. And it generally works for dogs, the scary thing usually does retreat so it becomes a reinforced behaviour.

He will have an invisible radius of space around him where he feels secure. It's called flight distance, anything within that space triggers his fight or flight stress response, which you may have heard of. Find out what that is and keep him far enough away from people that he is relaxed. Reward him generously for being calm, you are trying to develop a Positive Conditioned Emotional Response. Google +CER for more information, and this link explains it more - it was written about reactivity to dogs but the same principles apply.

Care for Reactive Dogs

Gradually, over weeks and months, not days, work on reducing the distance. This may mean you have to be selective where you walk - choose places with good visibility so you can give people a wide berth, or where you can turn and walk away easily. But - be aware that if your dog has had a stressful episode the stress hormone can stay in the body for some time (days) so a distance he was comfortable with the day before might be too close that day. So the safe distance can change, watch his body language.

Trainers describe behaviour like this with reference to the three Ds. Distance, as above but also be aware of Duration (your dog might be tolerant for 10 seconds, but not 15) and Distraction - how distracting the stimulus is; a calm person might not trigger any reaction at a given distance but a loud and boisterous one might.

Alongside that you could train a 'watch me'. As your dog looks at you, mark and reward the behaviour. Ask for longer periods of watching. Then if a dog approaches, after you have worked on the distance issue, you can get your dog to focus on you and not the other dog. BUT - some dogs find this scary as they cannot see the thing they are anxious about so you need to judge your dog.

·
Super Moderator
1,855 Posts
A few points to add in light of your edit.

Any change in behaviour should call for a vet check, in case the reason is medical rather than behavioural.

If he is only aggressive with some people,try to identify a pattern -.there will be one. Although it may be something you can't identify, like a smell.

And, if he reacts at a street width, his flight distance (see post above) is more than a street width.

You might want to consider muzzle training him - only use an open, basket type muzzle and don't just put it on him, he would need to be trained to accept it. This video will help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts