Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My family and I own an adult beagle who's near his senior years who is aggressive when it comes down to food. He'll growl if we bother him while he eats his dinner, and generally does not like interaction with anyone while eating. We accidentally took our eyes off the table one night as we were cleaning up dinner, and he grabbed a pork rib bone off the table before immediately running away somewhere else to eat it. We chased him down but couldn't take the bone for obvious reasons - one, he knew what he was doing was wrong, but proceeded to give warnings through growling; two, he would bite if we got too close and tried to take it away; three, there was nothing else we could replace with a delicious pork bone to get him away from the bone remains on the ground. I believe that dogs should NOT eat animal bones under any circumstance because the sharp shards from their rapid swallowing can puncture any wall of their digestive track.

Is there nothing I can do against these situations other than to be more careful when cleaning up around the dinner table to make sure there's nothing bad on the table that he can eat? And by the way, he has a habit of half-jumping onto tables to find and lick any food remnants, which he knows is bad but does it anyway no matter how we may react, nor does he try to hide it (most of the time but usually only after most of the people have left the kitchen). It used to be worse, where he would climb fully onto the tables but for some reason stopped doing that a couple of years ago. I don't know if I can really do anything about this behavior as he is already a decade old, but any insights will be appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
He's almost a senior. He may have pain and be grouchy from arthritis. He doesn't like to be bothered while he's eating and you don't like him bothering you while you're eating, especially not stealing unsafe items that you can't take from him.

Lock him in his own crate or room while he's eating and don't disturb him. Make him sit and wait to start eating until you day a cue word like ok or go ahead or whatever you want. Then leave him locked in there.

Lock him up in same room or crate away from everyone while you and family are eating so he has no access to human food. Manage these issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts