Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**My boyfriend and I have 2 dogs, and all of the activities described below have been done at the same time with both dogs to make things more effective.

My dog has terrible self-injurious behavior due to the fleas she has. We have tried EVERYTHING under the sun to rid her of them. However, they keep coming back. It's been a never ending battle since Spring of this year. We give her regular baths, keep her fur short, flea bombed the house, sprayed the backyard with flea killer stuff, put salt all over our carpets, given her frontline medicine, then given her a flea killing pill, all of it.

Our other dog (Miniature alaskan eskimo) does not get the fleas as bad as her and he does not engage in this self-injurious behavior.

What does the self-injurious behavior look like? She scratches and bites herself to the point where she removes patches of fur and skin. We have kept her nails short and bought her a cone, but somehow she manages to continue hurting herself. I have sewed fleece socks for her little feet, but she takes those off. I have even tried sewing her a little outfit for her to wear so she won't bite her skin off, but that came off quickly too.

Now, the fleas aren't just affecting the dog. They are affecting me too. I get about 5 new flea bites per night. And when I wake up in the morning, I have layers of skin missing because I will unconsciously scratch the itch so hard. The reason I itch so bad is because I am allergic to these flea bites. I have to take claritin to aid with the rashes and itchiness. So it's affecting the quality of both our lives.

I am so desperate. PLEASE HELP!!!

We would try and take her to the vet, but we are both out of jobs and my boyfriend is going to nursing school, soooooo we have no money to pull from anywhere.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
You need to get her to a vet and get something for the fleas and the allergic response. There's literally no other solution here. Frontline hasn't worked in some areas in quite some time. Capstar (oral medication), Seresto (collar) and Vectra (topical gel) are still quite effective in most places.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
In addition to what amaryllis advised, have a professional treat your house and yard for fleas and repeat in 10 days.

I'd also ask your vet about a steroid to relieve the itching and a cone collar to keep her from causing further damage. Oh, amaryllis suggested something for the itching from the vet already. Bears repeating. A dog can get some pretty serious staph infections if they continue to chew and scratch themselves raw. Not to mention, the misery they're feeling from constantly itching.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts