Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My lovely cockerpoo who is 9 months has hasd diarrhea for 2 weeks, however he is perfectly healthy in all other aspects, bounding around, eating well, playing well etc.

The trouble is , he eats everything that is on the floor and I suspect he keeps eating something in the garden which we are now trying to find out what.

Are there any self help remedies as feel it not necessary to take him to the vets as he is well in himself.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Until you find out what it is causing it, it may be hard to help stop. Watch him closely when he goes out, and see what he does and if he eats something he shouldn't. Otherwise, has his food changed since this started?

Two weeks is a long time to have dieareah, so if you don't find the problem soon you may need to go to the vet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It is definitely necessary to take him to the vet, 2 weeks is far too long for a puppy to be having diarrhea with zero treatment. Puppies are perfectly capable of acting otherwise fine and still having an issue, he is certainly not healthy if he's having diarrhea. It is very common for puppies to get worms or Giardia, so he definitely needs to be taken to a vet to have a fecal sample done, get some dewormer and probably some Metronidazole.
How long have you had him? What food is he on? Any recent changes in diet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is definitely necessary to take him to the vet, 2 weeks is far too long for a puppy to be having diarrhea with zero treatment. Puppies are perfectly capable of acting otherwise fine and still having an issue, he is certainly not healthy if he's having diarrhea. It is very common for puppies to get worms or Giardia, so he definitely needs to be taken to a vet to have a fecal sample done, get some dewormer and probably some Metronidazole.
How long have you had him? What food is he on? Any recent changes in diet?

I have rang the vets, however there has been no change in anything, I just think he keeps eating something in the garden, so close monitoring now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heavy worm infestations can cause it too, along with other intestinal parasites. I would just go on and make an appointment with the vet and not wait anymore.

I took him to the vets and he was not overally worried as he knew he had been wormed and flea treated by them, so ruled out that problem.
He has given me some sensitive food, and if this doesn't work after a week then he said to take 3 poo samples along for analysis to investigate further.

Thank you for everyone's help

·
Registered
76 Posts
For diarrhea relief you can give them a spoonful of plain canned pumpkin with morning and evening meals. You can also use Slippery Elm - one capsule a day to start, two (one per meal) if needed.

I went through horrific diarrhea with my dog for almost 3 MONTHS. It was horrible and absolutely frustrating because we could NOT figure out what was wrong. Her stool came back consistently clear of parasites and she was completely healthy in all other aspects. It ended up being diet. She's allergic to a lot of things - we're still finding all of them out - but for sure we know Beef, Dairy (cheese), Lamb, and Peanut Butter. We switched her to Zignature brand Turkey and she's been amazing ever since. Except just the last couple of weeks she's developed another allergy and is constantly licking her paws... it's my next challenge :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bracken had giardia. A sort of parasite. It is not a worm and so worming and flea treatments dont eradicate it. I suspect she got it from eating cat poo, since our lush garden was the neighbourhood cats' litter box. Not nice.

She needed 3 courses of antibiotics and 3 stool samples. It was likely she reinfected herself with her poop eating. We couldnt keep up with the cat poo patrols and tried various things to keep cats and foxes away, alongside strict training to get her to leave poop alone. It can spread easily to other dogs once in their environment.

It is more annoying than an actual health threat. She was never sick and so her fluid loss was quite minimal. She seemed healthy, besides having to stop suddenly and having squits in the house! It made house breaking hard as we couldnt do it right all the time she had urgent leaky poops.

Vets can tell from a poop sample what antibiotics are needed. Another one afterwards will indicate if all is clear. Most insurers will cover this one off treatment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts