Dog Forum banner
5K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  Buzzu2 
#1 ·
Forgive me for asking this question, I'm sure A LOT of people are gonna probably think how stupid I am for even asking this question I'm sure but......
Why is it bad to groom your dog yourself? I'm confused...
What if you bought the most expensive dog clippers you could find, had the best shampoo you could find, and have a place in your house you can set up to make it at least somewhat comfortable for.your dog and everything... & Self taught yourself HOW to cut your dog's hair by reading many many articles & watching TONS of videos as well.... Would that STILL be a problem to groom your own dog?
I'm just wondering just because I know some people (including myself) well we don't really I guess "trust" some of the groomers around where they live(or where I live) & they all seem to have HORRIBLE or somewhat alarming reviews you know? So it makes it a little skeptical to take your dog into someone you trust just for them to mistreat your fur baby?! Uhm no thank you LOL 🙄😬
I know there ARE some good groomers as well but it ALWAYS seems like they're CONSTANTLY booked up! 🤦🏻‍♀️ So then we're all like well now what, you know what I mean?
I mean I'm not saying doing it yourself is a better solution cause HONESTLY I have absolutely NO clue....
So again, just curious to know exactly why is it bad? & Is it bad if you have been doing your BEST to teach yourself how to groom??!
Please let me know!
I really appreciate EVERYONES time!
Thank you again!😏
Have a great day!🙏🏼
Stay Strong and Stay Safe 😷

See less See more
#3 ·
Awesome thank you for this reply! It's nice to know not everyone is against self grooming! I don't think the outcome has to be "perfect" of course you know? Lol but as long as they're happy and clean that's all that truly matters right?🤔😌 But when doing it ourselves we should definitely NOT expect it to be "perfect" either! Lol that's gonna take SO much practice to make "perfect" that's for sure!!
Thank you so much again! Stay Safe!😁

#4 · (Edited)
I have had multiple dogs over the years of various breeds, (border collies, labs, golden, and mixed breeds) and never have taken any of them to a groomer. (If that makes me a 'bad' person, I can live with that). Grooming time is 'bonding time' for me and my dogs, it also gives me the opportunity to check for lumps and bumps, keep tabs on their weight, and check their teeth and their ears for any issues that may crop up.

#5 · (Edited)
Agree why is considered bad to groom your dog yourself? I admit there is a lot to learn depending on the type of dog you are grooming, but I learned to groom my dogs myself. This time with my pup I am hand stripping, so I leaned even more and maybe something a little more involved than clipping, but I'm doing alright I think haha. How did I learn? The general pattern was through experience and working with my dogs, but to hand strip, it was 100% online since the breeder had no time to show me.

One thing I find super helpful to keep matts away is to use a dematting comb or stripping knife to comb through the coat and remove dead hairs. Keeps the coat thinned out a bit and it's very good for the skin to improve circulation.

Oh I just realised your dog is a standard schnauzer, is that right? I have a mini schnauzer pup atm, and I had two minis before him. I used to bring them in for grooming at a home groomer's, but for last few years of my girl's life, I was grooming her myself with scissors. I actually used to get compliments and the vet tech asked where I got her done. Totally possible to do this, good luck!

#7 ·
Agree why is considered bad to groom your dog yourself? I admit there is a lot to learn depending on the type of dog you are grooming, but I learned to groom my dogs myself. This time with my pup I am hand stripping, so I leaned even more and maybe something a little more involved than clipping, but I'm doing alright I think haha. How did I learn? The general pattern was through experience and working with my dogs, but to hand strip, it was 100% online since the breeder had no time to show me.

One thing I find super helpful to keep matts away is to use a dematting comb or stripping knife to comb through the coat and remove dead hairs. Keeps the coat thinned out a bit and it's very good for the skin to improve circulation.
Love this! Thank you for the positive feedback definitely appreciated!! Like I said I think grooming our pups ourselves is better considering they trust us with their lives and are VERY comfortable with us, & bringing them to a random person they don't know to get groomed is probably extremely nerve wracking for them I assume you know?! We know our dog inside and out pretty much so it's like we know when they're in need of a break from the shaving or if something is wrong and all that you know?
I just have NEVER seen the problem with grooming them ourselves as long as we're careful of course, but I know A LOT of people who have jumped down my throat for grooming my own dog saying "it's so dangerous regardless" & "you HAVE to be a professional" like really people ?! Really?!🤔😒

#8 ·
For the record my parents had two minis as well (I got my two from their bitch), anyway, they also started shaving their dogs when they moved rural and honestly they did a really good job.

The places that would be difficult are the bits region and maybe the neck or areas with folds, but I totally agree, I would 100% rather attempt myself then to bring my pup to a stranger I don't even trust. Actually with my girl, she was elderly and I just couldn't put her through that stress.

Read up, watch vids, whatever you can do, there's no rush this way, go for it!

#20 ·
Yes! The neck & the folds are definitely one of the hardest parts! Besides the face! My boy doesn't care for his face being touched as it is so trimming it up or anything like that is a pain in the butt cause he moved his face like "stop touching me woman!" LOL
But exactly ESPECIALLY with elder dogs! My boys an elder too he's 15-16 years old & when it comes to ANYTHIG stressful I do my VERY BEST to avoid it at all costs that's for sure!

I have definitely been watching A LOT of vids and reading up on A LOT too especially the past 2 weeks it's been like daily non-stop dog school for me😆 LOL
I learn more and more things everyday that I wish I knew sooner you know!
That's the ONE good thing about the internet, is it can teach ya a thing or two😆 LOL

#10 ·
Forgive me for asking this question, I'm sure A LOT of people are gonna probably think how stupid I am for even asking this question I'm sure but......
Why is it bad to groom your dog yourself? I'm confused...
What if you bought the most expensive dog clippers you could find, had the best shampoo you could find, and have a place in your house you can set up to make it at least somewhat comfortable for.your dog and everything... & Self taught yourself HOW to cut your dog's hair by reading many many articles & watching TONS of videos as well.... Would that STILL be a problem to groom your own dog?
I'm just wondering just because I know some people (including myself) well we don't really I guess "trust" some of the groomers around where they live(or where I live) & they all seem to have HORRIBLE or somewhat alarming reviews you know? So it makes it a little skeptical to take your dog into someone you trust just for them to mistreat your fur baby?! Uhm no thank you LOL 🙄😬
I know there ARE some good groomers as well but it ALWAYS seems like they're CONSTANTLY booked up! 🤦🏻‍♀️ So then we're all like well now what, you know what I mean?
I mean I'm not saying doing it yourself is a better solution cause HONESTLY I have absolutely NO clue....
So again, just curious to know exactly why is it bad? & Is it bad if you have been doing your BEST to teach yourself how to groom??!
Please let me know!
I really appreciate EVERYONES time!
Thank you again!😏
Have a great day!🙏🏼
Stay Strong and Stay Safe 😷
I don't think its bad LOL and I do it myself too.Just be careful that you dont hurt him. I used this device and I never had any problems before.
Good Luck

#12 ·
I don't think its bad LOL and I do it myself too.Just be careful that you dont hurt him. I used this device and I never had any problems before.
Good Luck
Oh yes! Thank you very much for the link!
We have a Wahl brand one that I bought recently to replace the old one we had that sadly stopped working & I really don't think I like it, it's REALLY LOUD! My boy gets a little nervous when he hears the loud sounds😬
Is this one pretty quiet?🤔
I knew I should've read MORE reviews than I did before I went & got this new one🤦🏻‍♀️
Kinda upset when I bought this shaver too it said it was like "Pro Quiet" or whatever so when I turned it on I was like WOAH😳

#18 ·
The grooming doesn't matter, we just like fog pictures.

But to make you feel less self conscious, View attachment 249221
Ooh look at that! So precious!
I will definitely be getting them up!
Oh I do have a question for you if that's ok? 😬
I was just wondering if it's bad to Completely shave your dog down?
Like for instance say I haven't groomed my dog in about 2 months (which will NEVER happen again no matter what is wrong with me!) I learned my lesson! Lol but anyways, in that time he had quickly got matted in a lot of places and they were just those Matt's that were SO clumpy that brushing them wasn't really doing anything other than irritate him..... So then it's decided to just shave him down to pretty much start over so I can I guess "start over" & to keep it maintained by brushing him out daily again when his hair starts to grows back longer of course.... I just don't know if I did a bad thing? After he got shaved he was SO happy he's been shaved down before when he was a pup when my dad used to take him in to get groomed and for some reason the 3times he went in there they shaved him down each time it was weird I'm not sure if my dad was asking for a Complete shave down or what but they did🤷🏻‍
But anyways! I just hope I'm not a bad person for doing that🥺 I'll NEVER let my pains or even depression get in the way EVER again.... I'll definitely keep up on the brushing and all that like I used to... Just fell in a VERY deep hole for a couple of months & I feel so horrible for that... I feel like the world worst dog parent😔

#17 ·
None of mine have ever been to a groomer..I have a table and do it myself. TBH, it's not so much about looks for me, but it's about the dog's comfort. My Golden gets long hair in her ears and needs that trimmed monthly. She hates that and must be secured to the table with a 3 point harness.

Andis makes good products, but be careful. Just like everyone, they have good and bad products.

#19 ·
None of mine have ever been to a groomer..I have a table and do it myself. TBH, it's not so much about looks for me, but it's about the dog's comfort. My Golden gets long hair in her ears and needs that trimmed monthly. She hates that and must be secured to the table with a 3 point harness.

Andis makes good products, but be careful. Just like everyone, they have good and bad products.
Thank you very much for the positive feedback! I VERY much appreciate it!😊🙏🏼
Now, I have been wanting to get a table but the ONLY problem is my boy is 15-16 years old & he doesn't seem to have the strength to sit up for too long he'll plop right down after like a few minutes or so.... So it's like hmm should I even bother when he can't really even stay up for to long? 🤔 & If I did get a table where would the best place be to buy one? Somewhere like amazon I'm assuming?

& You're right, brands do DEFINITELY have good & bad products! I JUST discovered that when I bought this Wahl Dog Clippers, they said they're supposed to be "quiet" but uhhh they are SO LOUD!🙄😬🤦🏻‍♀️

THANK YOU AGAIN!🙏🏼🙏🏼

#21 ·
I have to wonder what people did with their dogs in the past because this fashion for groomers is a fairly recent one.

I have had all sorts of dogs and I have never taken any of them to a groomer I clip their nails, groom, bath etc all myself.
I think if you start slowly and with the correct equipment there is no reason why you cannot become proficient at grooming your own dog.

#25 ·
So you got it done? Good for you!!! Definitely want to see some pics of your sweet boy! No worries, no judging on haircut, I'm just excited to see him!

One little tip, shave the pits and anything with friction contact that you can't see anyway. I use scissors, but I keep the pits real short because they matt up quickly.

Also my dad said Billy used to lie down to get clippered, so no reason you can't do the jacket part while he is lying down. Obviously underneath is harder and he'll need to stand a bit, but there's no rush and a little at a time.

#29 ·
So you got it done? Good for you!!! Definitely want to see some pics of your sweet boy! No worries, no judging on haircut, I'm just excited to see him!

One little tip, shave the pits and anything with friction contact that you can't see anyway. I use scissors, but I keep the pits real short because they matt up quickly.

Also my dad said Billy used to lie down to get clippered, so no reason you can't do the jacket part while he is lying down. Obviously underneath is harder and he'll need to stand a bit, but there's no rush and a little at a time.
Phew! Shaving him took 2 long days ! I went over it on the 3rd day to make sure I got all the stray hairs or whatever you know? But this old man did NOT want his hair cut this time😆🤦🏻‍♀️
It took 2 days cause he kept wanting to get up and walk away and take A LOT of breaks to go outside too... Silly dog😆😌
Definitely him laying down wasn't like SUPER easy but it worked! And the pits are kinda nerve wracking to do! His legs in GENERAL scare me! 😆 I almost made my husband help me cause I was SO afraid of hurting him! But it surprisingly worked out VERY well without hurting him! I'll DEFINITELY be using scissors next time!🤦🏻‍♀️ The whole time I felt like I was holding my breath! LOL
I'll post the pictures tomorrow FOR SURE! I'm SOOOO SORRY, & I'm sooo sorry that it's taken me THIS long! Ugh my goodness! All kind of running around, doing errands is exhausting! LOL😆 I have been soooo busy!🤦🏻‍♀️
But never to fear I'll have em posted up here tomorrow!😊
I just bought him a new onesie, so I'm DYING to show it off on him of course!🐾😆

#27 ·
I have always clipped my own dogs, stripped my Scottish Terriers when we used to show them a long time ago. I have had a lot of non-shedding dogs the past few years (Shih Tzu x Maltese), still have three and now one Poodle and two Poodle crosses also. Of course non shedding means clipping and even if I wanted someone to clip the two bigger ones, nobody around here wants to do anything but small dogs so I am sure lucky I can do my own.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Snout

This post has been deleted
#30 ·
Andis are the best clippers on the market. They're very quiet compared to other brands. Bzzzz quietly compared to clack, clack, clack. If you have 1 dog, it doesn't make sense to invest in equipment. Clippers, correct blades, cleaners, brush, oil, nail clippers. You also will need to learn how to express the dog's glands. Many people have their dogs professionally clipped. Go to the dog park and if you see a nicely clipped dog, approach the person and ask where they had it done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.