Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember me mentioning I'll be taking my 5 year old cat with me when I move back to the states. He dislikes car rides and is terrified of them(trembles so much!). I'm concerned he'll be so stressed from the car trip ( roughly a 14 hour drive) that it may trigger a urine infection again. It will most likely be spaced out in a 2 days road trick. However I'm worried about him holding in his bladder and not eating. This will be the first big car ride he will experience other than to the vet/hospital. I'm hoping to start taking him with me to short, small mini-rides so he doesn't always associate the car with the vet visits/negative experienced. My husband and I will be taking turns on driving so one of us can stay in the back with him to keep him company. I've recently purchased a SleepyPod CarrierSleepypod® Luxury pet carrier | Cat Carrier | Dog Carrier for him to make travel more comfortable. So far he ADORES it as his official bed so I hope that helps. This is also why I started to clicker train (or at least attempt to) him.

A consideration I am having and what was suggested to me, was giving him a sedative pill. I plan on asking the vet on my next visit about what types there are and if there are any side effects. My main concern is safety. Are pills ok for cats to take on a short term and has anyone have any experience with giving their cat pills? I know every cat is different and can react differently, and ultimately I need advice from a vet, but I'm curious about any success or disaster stories. Are pills encouraged or discouraged?

Pro: the sedative pill can make the ride more stress-free for him, and ideally, help lessen the chance of him getting a UTI.
Con: Can had negative side affects on his system and be unhealthy effect long-term. Can even cause a UTI.

What's everyone's opinion? I'm currently looking up more information about it. So if anyone has any helpful links, words or wisdom or experience, please, please share with me!

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
My current cats hate the car.
They scream, then puke, then poop, then give up and settle down.
Of course, they only go in the car to the vets, so no wonder.

We once had a cat that LOVED to ride in the car. Maybe its because when we got him at 5 weeks old, first thing we did was drive 12 hours to visit my parents. He rode on my hubby's shoulder. He was really half dog. We would take him to visit my in-laws in the country, let him run around in the woods there, then call him when we were ready to go home. He came like a dog and got in the car to go home.
Cats are amazing.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
The sedative may be fine but I'm not big on sedatives.

I assume he's becoming FLUTD from the stress and doesn't actually have an infection... ? If so, lots of fluids is the way to go. Encourage water consumption and give more canned food than usual. There are also pills you can get from your vet and start prophylactically that help with urethral spasming called phenoxybenzamine that may help if he becomes FLUTD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts