Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

It was brought to my attention that some of you would like an opportunity to provide feedback on the Secret Santa event. I think it's a great idea, as we can perhaps get ideas to improve it next year if we do it again.

So what did you think?

Things that went right?

Things that went wrong?

How can we fix any glitches or problems that you all may have experienced?

Are the criteria for participating and rules reasonable?

If you would like to provide feedback privately, you are welcome to either PM me, or start a thread in the TTTT area. Any threads made in the TTTT area are set up so that only the creator of the thread and the moderators can read the content. It's private from other members.

Thanks!

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
I think the biggest thing preventing me from joining in is that shipping in Canada is stupidly expensive to Canada, let alone the rest of the world. A 20$ gift becomes 40-50$ pretty fast with shipping. :'(

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
So what did you think?

I think secret santa is a great idea and alot of fun but the most recent one was a bit of a downfall compared to the other ones and it was very frustrating and stressful towards the end..
Things that went right?
got assigned my secret santa honestly not sure what else did go right apart from the closing date for entries.
Things that went wrong?

Please dont take this the wrong way but the thread needs to be made end of october/ beginning of november and postage date needs to be end november for some of us. For example 4th dec was the last postage date for me in nz and i wasnt aware of it and posted on the 7th as a result busterbcmum only just got it in time! though i had injured myself and had to return the toy and order from another site the one originally wanted which came on the 5th dec.

I asked a few questions in TTTT for the person who got assigned me to let me know if charlie was involved or not so i knew where to open present if it was ok to ask my ss but got no reply. Then on christmas day and i hope you dont mind me saying this @spotsonofbun told me she actually asked kmes/a mod to let me know it will possibly be late but i never heard anything and i checked the TTTT thread all the time. therefore poor spots saw me stressed out and fretting and anxious on secret santa thread and i felt awful in the end about that when i found she had asked a mod to let me know poss late arriving i felt so bad because of how anxious and stressed i had been about it arriving. Though i was so delighted at 4 30/5pm to see it had arrived my reaction was priceless and so happy and thrilled with what got and still are. loved the xmas card and how apologised if its late but for me bang on time thankfully. i really did apologise.

Also others and i did mention kmes in the thread with any questions etc but no answer which is where i think it went wrong with just having one mod to look after it all. One thing i did ask that i didnt get answer to till i asked @TiggerBounce was the santa i was assigned hadnt given a name before the address i got no answer the entire time from asking but tiggerbounce thankfully got that info for me! thank you so much for that.
however do appeciate kmes very busy with work and life so need more mods for this decembers if it happens again.
How can we fix any glitches or problems that you all may have experienced?

Need
more then one mod and if short of mods to take part in it can i please offer my services as a temp mod for secret santa? so if anyone has questions and they dont get answers i could help out and reply to them please? this way everyone is happy, people get answers needed and messages to the assigned santas know any important info. it was so stressful asking questions and getting no reply. its so important messages get sent and recieved

Reveal thread people were tagged /metioned with the @ for the guessing and i dont think a few replied to confirm? also i know its a reveal thread but the first year was so much more fun guessing who it is and that person sayign yes it was me. this time it was i was assigned ........ hope you like your gifts. i think that did spoil it a bit and people should guess but no idea if that rule had changed or not?. busterbcsmum finally guessed me on facebook hence i told who i got but still she said who it was which was good.

Also some ideas here i had to join a uk forum and they had a secret santa parcel arrived thread what a fab idea! why not have one ourselves?
Are the criteria for participating and rules reasonable?

I think so its only fair be 18 over and the 200 post thing.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
btw thanks @TiggerBounce and mods for agreeing to this idea of mine greatly appreciated always good to know what can be improved and what went right etc

Reactions: warren1977

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
@kmes i hope you dont take it personally because i know you were/are a very busy person and we all are thankful you let it happen and that you were the only mod but personally i do think you need another mod to help you out to take some of the strain/stress off you next time. IMO needs to be 2-3 mods doing it. that way when life is busy esp at that time of year your not trying to answer all the questions etc by yourself.

very grateful you did it for us all thank you :)

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I enjoyed it very much, but then I also had zero issues. I did feel bad having two dogs on there for the same secret Santa (even though I don't think she was too bothered) but maybe an option to be a secret Santa to individual dogs instead of users?
All in all, loved it, hope to see it return this year! Big thank you to @kmes for organizing!

Reactions: warren1977 and kmes

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I enjoyed it very much, but then I also had zero issues. I did feel bad having two dogs on there for the same secret Santa (even though I don't think she was too bothered) but maybe an option to be a secret Santa to individual dogs instead of users?
All in all, loved it, hope to see it return this year! Big thank you to @kmes for organizing!
Secret santa is technically for the humans, not the dogs ;) People have just been choosing to get things for others dogs instead of each other LOL. With most of us having multiple dogs, I don't think we have enough people to do it per dog anyway.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Secret santa is technically for the humans, not the dogs ;) People have just been choosing to get things for others dogs instead of each other LOL. With most of us having multiple dogs, I don't think we have enough people to do it per dog anyway.
oh i thought it was for the dogs with it being a dog forum!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
@revolutionrocknroll you given any feedback before it closes?
I was just trying to think of ways to get more people to post in the reveal thread because I never figured out who my SS was! It's tough though because the week during and after Christmas are busy holiday weeks but you can't do much longer after that because then people will probably forget to post. So idk, the past years have gone really well, probably just bad luck this year with people being busy rather than how it was actually run. I know I posted late because I was really busy and away during the holidays!

I do agree with you that there needs to be some more time for shipping- particularly for people shipping overseas because that can take a while.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I just wish people wouldn't sign up unless they are going to follow through, but that is not the Mods fault. I really can't think of a way to predict or prevent it.

Reactions: Kwenami

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
I just wish people wouldn't sign up unless they are going to follow through, but that is not the Mods fault. I really can't think of a way to predict or prevent it.
I take it that yours was never posted then? I wonder who you got. Poor you!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I take it that yours was never posted then? I wonder who you got. Poor you!
Posted via Mobile Device
That's being worked on I guess.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
@jclark343 - That is really very frustrating, and frankly disappointing. I would have signed up as an alternate in case someone didn't ship their package on time, I would have sent you something. :(

I don't really know how you would deal with it either, except prevent them from partaking again, but at that point it's too late.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
that is so appalling and unfair! that member shouldnt be allowed to participate again i agree! maybe the mods can make it a rule that if you sign up for it you have to send the person you get something and anyone who didnt send anything cant participate again? thats so mean to sign up and not send anyone something maybe we need back up santas this year? could understand if were in hospital or some serious emergency though otherwise.............. im sure the mods will be discussing this and how to prevent it happening again. first two went so well its a shame.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yes, we're sorry jclark :( It's unfortunately something that's very hard for us to avoid. We have the criteria that people have to meet before they can participate to try and cut back on that happening. We want people participating who are active, and who've been around long enough that we can trust with addresses and personal info. But ultimately we have no control over people who agree to participate, and it basically goes off honor system after that.

So far we've only had this happen twice. Two different people, two different years, with no contact or explanation for what happened or apology. I wouldn't say it's a huge issue at this point, but we are discussing perhaps adjusting the criteria a bit further, or requiring additional approval.

People who agree to participate, but then disappear and fail to send a package without explanation are absolutely blacklisted/banned at least from participating again. We can also definitely consider "alternatives", so if there are a few people like you @Shandula who volunteer to do that, we can keep a list and contact them if needed.

We are also discussing requiring shipment tracking. It definitely gets overwhelming for moderators to be bugged constantly about whether their package is sent, it hasn't gotten here yet, when was it shipped etc. Requiring a tracking number is an easy way to put an end to that so that we can focus on other things.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
So a big shout out to the Moderators. What you guys do for this is awesome. We have to remember that this is all volunteer, and they are the ones that have to put forth the extra work.

ALSO a MASSIVE shout out for @kmes for being wonderful and sending us a gift. It was not your job and I thank you so much for it! Both dogs really like the kick block (haven't opened the treats, those are waiting til the new house). Roxie LOVES the kick block. It's her new favorite toy.

She even sleeps on it

So once again, Thank you @kmes for being awesome.

Honestly, 1 person not sending a gift is not the end of the world. I am sure there can be better ways to track it so the poor Moderators aren't being constantly blown up, but remember, a lot of other sites that do this stuff (I participate in the Secret Santa on Reddit) has a site designed just for this. We do not.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
@jclark343 we all appreciate the mods doing the secret Santa and know its them volunteer their time no one said otherwise if anything all I said was it be good if there was two mods over seeing it so @kmes would have some help next time and not be so overwhelmed with life work and secret santa. If the mods need extra help well I volunteered in my feedback to help out if there is only one mod only able to volunteer their time to do it.
@kmes that was so good of you to send jclark something like that! How very kind and good of you!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts