Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

TL;DR: I'm worried my rescue dog will attack a pregnant dog I'm rescuing tomorrow.

I got myself into quite the predicament, I tend to act now and think later so now I need some help figuring out how to work this. My parents were never dog people, so adopting dogs is something I've only done in my adult life.

Three months ago I adopted our mutt. He is was hit by a car and lost his eye. He lived in a shelter with many other dogs for four years before I adopted him. He is amazing and I love him so much.

Now, there is a female street dog that is very pregnant. We were looking for a temporary home for her but no one would take her, so here I am, volunteering to take her without thinking it through.

You see, Jack is awesome, but when we take him out for walks, he growls at other dogs. He hasn't ever attacked any, but he isn't friendly to other dogs like the people at the shelter lead me to believe. I'm worried he isn't going to get along with Alba (the female). I know nothing of how to introduce them, what's not normal and what isn't. She is coming tomorrow at 9am.

Also, I live in Guatemala, so stray dogs are everywhere here. We just really don't want Alba having her puppies on the street during this horrible cold front. As soon as her puppies are born she will be spayed, and the puppies will all be fixed as soon as they are of age. That is already paid for by the organization that I'm working with. After that we will do forever homes for them.

So, any advice on what to do to get the dogs to like each other?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Introduce them away from your home at a park, initially at a distance then treat the first dog like mad as you approach. Then have someone else take the mutt out for a while and let the female dog walk around the house and yard then put her somewhere else while your old dog has a sniff. Then introduce them for a short period at first and separate them if there are any signs of distress. It worked for me with my very dog averse dog. We had the occasional snap but nothing worse. Also be very sure to give the pregnant dog somewhere safe to escape to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts