Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I'm worried that my second dog is not bonding as well with me as he is to our first dog. Comet, the new puppy seems to always want to play with Brue the older dog more than he wants to play with us.

Comet will settle down and play with us if Brue isn't in the room but when he is in the room Comet kind of forgets about us. I have a really good relationship with Brue and I want that with Comet too but I'm worried that Comet will bond more to Brue and I will always be second place in his eyes.

Any tips on how to bond better with Comet while at the same time not making Brue feel left out?:confused:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just give it time. Dogs will bond with eachother, and it's really healthy for them. Eventually Comet will realize that humans give walks, food, training and treats while Brue is just another dog. But really, its ok that Comet is playing with Brue over humans. Puppies learn alot through play with older dogs, far more than they can from humans. It dosn't mean that you couldn't train/satisfy Comet on his own, but let him enjoy having a big buddy.

Training is a great time to bond and you may even get Brue in on the act. For instance Brue sits and gets a treat, Comet sits and gets a treat. Brue shakes, Comet shakes, Brue rolls over, so does Comet. Not only will this reinforce your status in the pack but Comet will be more eager to mimic Brue's level of bonding with you.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
make sure to walk,exercise and train them seperated and make it as fun as and rewarding as possible for your dog.
starting a sport together (without the other dog) is also awesome for bonding.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Like humans, each dog has its own personality and idiosyncrasies. They are who they are, but it really takes quite awhile for their full personality to evolve. We have a neighbor that took in a nine year old dog, owner didn't want her any more. She was so timid, and underweight. Now a year later she is a totally different dog, healthy happy, energetic, and not underweight. Neighbor says, the dog now has opinions. So rewarding to see that happen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
make sure to walk,exercise and train them seperated and make it as fun as and rewarding as possible for your dog.
starting a sport together (without the other dog) is also awesome for bonding.
We tired walking them together once and learned very quickly that is not something we should be doing right now. they were a mess lol.:p

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'd give it time as well. Some dogs are also just not a people oriented as others. It took me quite awhile to bond with Echo, because she's very independent and likes other dogs more than people. But in time I've bonded with her a lot, just in a different way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts