Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
11 year old Shiz Su. She found me as a stray about 7 years ago. Right from the start she is a ‘loner’. Not affectionate, afraid of many things, goes under the bed when anyone comes to the house. Only barks when someone’s at the door. Except for what I call her ‘indoor’ bark, where she fills her mouth with air and making a little sneezing-like sound. She does this when she’s indoors only. Outdoors she normal barks to come back in.Does not socialize with other dogs; just ignore them. Doesn’t like to take walks the past two years. I assume she as badly abused when she came to me. Dos not come, etc. But was house broke right from the start.
Two years ago she and I moved from CA to WA to be near more family since I’m in my 80s.
I think the scratching on carpet, etc, began about that time. There’s nothing on the carpet or sofa, she just scratches and then lies down as if she’s making a bed. However, she a dog bed with a little blanket that she never scratches nor sleeps in. She sleeps under the bed right under me. From day one she has rarely let me out of her sight, but will not allow me to be affectionate with her. She’s not over-protective at all. She can be left inside and never has an accident. She’s a very picky eater and will only eat one brand of doggie treat. When She has a different dogfood she doesn’t. Like, she roughly shoves the bowl and spills her water. I think she’s almost totally deaf now, as well as near-sighted. Sometimes she walks into the wrong room, turns around and comes back out. Sometimes, she stands just facing the wall. Not a mean bone in her body. Very docile. Just ‘leave me alone’ . She used to fetch her one toy that she’s had for 7 years. Now she just Picks it up every morning and carries it back and forth between the bedroom and the living room about 5 times, like she doesn’t know where she wants to put it. She never chews on anything and is an exemplary dog, though no company!😜
I just feel so sorry for her when she does this digging thing. Any thoughts would be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
3,726 Posts
I don't think digging and scratching is particularly unusual, but if it was unusual for her, i could understand your concern. But it has been going on for two years so it could just be a habit.

Some of the other things - like going into the wrong room, or faces the wall, are a little more worrying. These could be signs of the start of canine cognitive dysfunction (dementia). There are medications that can help so please see your vet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts