Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hubby & I are training our 8 month old bloodhound, Jethro, to track animals. Iowa recently passed a law that allows the aid of dogs during deer hunting for tracking/recovery purposes. We both are avid hunters, so having a dog on call if/when we need it will be super convenient.
Jethro had a successful (practice) track last night! My hubby drug around some deer parts throughout our acreage & ultimately hid it in the cornfield. We put Jethro's harness & lead on a little while later & let him get to work. He immediately picked up the scent where my hubby started & followed it EXACTLY where hubby had been, ultimately ending up at the hiding spot. He is a natural & it is so much fun to watch him work. He puts his nose to the ground & doesn't come back up until he's found what he's looking for. He makes an odd little sound while he tracking that I've never heard before- it's hard to explain but he only makes it when he's tracking. We have also done practice hides- where it's not so much about him tracking but us wanting him to go out (no harness/lead) and find the animal on his own- he always ends up finding it (whether it's a deer foot or antler) in no time.
We also let our shorthair go out & try to track after Jethro's run. However, he lost the scent (or maybe lost interest- you know how those bird dogs can have a bit of ADHD) and did not seem interested. I told my hubby you can't expect a bird dog to do a hound dog's job. 馃槃
More to come as we continue to practice & definitely plan on having some pictures to go with!

Registered
That's awesome! Our old dog Sadie (who died almost 2 years ago 馃槩), a Rough collie Malinios mix, would trail deer for hunters who would hunt on our 50 acres. Sometimes they would be pretty far away; and one time she dragged one down while it was running. She was just natural at it, but she wouldn't always get them. I'm sure Jethro is awesome!! I hope his continued training goes well (which I'm sure it will ;))

Registered
To me, it is always a huge pleasure to watch a dog do the work for which that dog was bred. Instinctively they always love to do the work, and it makes them happy and fulfilled. Bloodhounds are truly awe inspiring to watch at work. I think it's sad if a bloodhound never gets to track, and it's great that you are going to be giving him opportunities to do what he does best!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.