Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a ~8 year old female fixed pit bull mix at about 65lbs. She has been an inside dog using a dog door for the 6 years we've had her. Shes very sweet and part of the family but we are selling our house soon and have to keep it clean. The problem is she tracks little doggy paw prints, mud, dirt, and short little white hairs all over the hardwood floor. We aren't going to be able to keep the house up with her inside so we purchased an extra large petmate igloo doghouse with a door flap and heater (it can get cold in TN, occasional single digits).

So we got the doghouse and I assembled it inside, put her favorite dog bed and her favorite treat inside. I left it inside in her bed spot so she might be more apt to use it. She wouldn't go in. She would poke her head in the entrance but that was it.

I read around and there are some suggestions to just shove her in there and block her in so she can see it isn't so bad. We did this for 30 minutes on and off for a day. Still no luck.

On a cold'ish day we put the house outside and turned the heater on. We left her outside to get cold then put her in the house and left her there with her treat for 45min to an hour hoping to show her its nice and warm in there. She sat down finally but never touched the treat. We let her out and she still wouldn't go back in on her on. We repeated this another 2-3 times.

Its in the middle of winter and I would hate to just leave her outside and "hope" that she figures it out and will lay inside to stay warm but thats about where I'm at.

Any ideas would be welcome

·
Super Moderator
3,750 Posts
Bobdole11,

I understand your concern about maintaining a clean house while you're in the process of selling it, but it must be quite traumatizing for your senior dog, who's used to being close to her family, to suddenly be banished to the backyard. Honestly speaking, doing so seems rather heartless and cold, and I wouldn't be surprised if your dog starts to develop behavioral problems from stress and loneliness.

Can't you figure out a way to contain her in one room? How about wiping off her paws and coat when she comes inside? A little extra cleaning, especially of one room, seems like a small price to pay for the contentment of your old dog.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Susan is right, even if the dog is regulated to one room, banishing her outside, especially at night is really not in her best interest. She may go a bit psyco becuase you're her pack.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts