Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone can give me some advice on one of my dogs Weasley. he is a staffidshire bull terrier x Labrador. we have had him since he was a puppy and he is now 3. we have had no problems with him except for usual puppy mischief. he is friendly is fine with other dogs fine with kids but a bit stand offish with people until he gets to know you. he is a bit shy around men and will wet himself sometimes. once he has been around the person for a few minutes he is fine but he goes into a submissive state. we have lived in this bungalow for 13 yrs and I have had dogs before. we also have a smaller dog jack Russell x bichon who is a barker. 2 and a half years ago after finding 2 of my cats dead by being poisoned my neighbour stopped talking to me . she started moaning about the small dog barking. she moaned about the cats going in the garden. as Weasley grew she started talking to me again occasionally she would ask if someone broke into your place would the dog go for him. we previously had a German Shepherd and unfortunately she died at only 5yrs old. it was weird as she did not want the neighbour stroking her and she barked now and then at her. after this I had an attempted break in on my property. anyway getting back to Weasley. last year the neighbour and myself had a row over the dogs. they were barking in the garden we have an alley way at the back of us so lot of people walking past. I call them back to me when they do it I don't just leave it. anyway she reported me to the council saying I had a pit bull dog here that was aggressive and dangerous she phoned the council on the Friday and first thing Monday morning I had the housing officer on the doorstep saying I had a pit bull. he would not let me show him the dogs but tried to video him by hanging over the back fence which is 6ft high. I told him to go away but not so politly. any way that was all resolved as I got in touch with his manager and she came down and said he had no authority to say he was a pit bull or not. I'm in the UK and our laws on having a pit bull or pit type dog is so stupid. anyway I kept the dogs in for a long time just letting them in and out to go to the toilet and obviously taking them out. now it has all started again. she is going to report me as on Saturday she has friends round and making so much noise they barked and there was man there growling and barking back they kept doing it and winding the dogs up. banging on the fence and our gate things like that they were shouting abuse over the fence and shouted over at our little dog shut up you (I cannot even think about the word it was so offensive. ) my dog couldn't care less and carried on playing but I got called it to. anyway she was shouting out that if my big dog got out and got hold of a toddler he would kill it. I have 2 grandchildren one of 12 and one of 4. so he has not tried to kill either of them. also she said if my dog got hold of her rabbit it would kill it. what am I supposed to do. she was so abusive. I don't go out anywhere unless my husband is in as the small dog barks when were out. its usually for about half hour then he just gets the hump and lays down. the only place I go is the hospital or doctor. I'm so fed up and worried about my dogs and my cats. I know she killed the other two cats but I have no proof. she shouted to me on Saturday you wont have those dogs for much longer. I'm so scared she is going to either report me for having pit type to the police where he can be taken and assessed or she is going to get the men that were in her garden with her to take them or kill them. I don't know what else I can do.
any suggestions apart from murder please.
carol:(

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'm in the UK and our laws on having a pit bull or pit type dog is so stupid.
I'm so scared she is going to either report me for having pit type to the police where he can be taken and assessed or she is going to get the men that were in her garden with her to take them or kill them.
Let's start with the easy one: Just go outside with your dog when he goes out to do his business, and leash him on walks. That will make it difficult for anyone to take your dog.

As far as the law, it depends on exactly how it is worded. Here in the US there have been successful defenses because those charged demanded that the prosecution identify the breed.
What does the law say about exactly what breed is prohibited and who makes the determination of breed? If your law says that animal control makes the determination, be prepared for a very expensive legal battle. The law may be stupid but that does not mean it should be ignored.
If you believe that your dog fits the description of a prohibited animal, for his sake you might make a backup plan to remove him to a legal jurisdiction.

·
Registered
884 Posts
as above, keep them with with you & within sight (as it sounds like you are doing).
Install security cameras (even cheap ones, anything) so you can have proof of people deliberately aggravating and teasing your dogs.

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for reply. our law is that if you have pit type dog the police have the right to take the dog. it doesn't matter if he is on the lead and muzzled if you are in the street you can just have the dog taken. I don't think he looks pit type. the pit bull is deemed as the demon dog here ONLY because these poor dogs end up in the wrong hands. our police get a warrant from the court to take the dog if the dog is in a home. they cannot come in and take the dog without a warrant. if they have the warrant they can force entry to take the dog even if you are out and the dogs are alone. this is the law for the whole of the UK. we got him as staff x lab. the experts who assess these dogs are not experienced with pit bull dogs. they go on the look of the dog and nothing else. it doesn't matter how good the dog is they go by the type and not the dog. its very wrong and there are organisations who are trying to get the law changed. Pit bull here is banned. if you have one it has to be registered chipped neutered and muzzled at all times in public and cannot be let off the lead. they used to have to have the dogs tattooed as well but I don't think they do that now.
carol

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
So, in the UK your dog may be taken if an expert or police officer deems that it is a pit bull type. YOU must prove it is not.
Under certain circumstances after being charged, you may keep the dog but have to go through a list of conditions to do so.

In my opinion it may be a good idea to be proactive and hire an expert to give you an opinion on whether your dog will be deemed to be a pit bull type. If he/she says it is not, you should get that in writing and seek further proof and keep it all in a folder in case of future need.

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/banned-dogs

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I also second the suggestions of installing some camera so you will have proof if your neighbor does anything.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I hate these bans personally.

Police can seize a pitbull and other banned breeds in the UK. If you're on the street, dog is leashed and muzzled, they can take the dog. They can get a warrant and enter the home to seize the dog.

Here's the thing, you do have your day in court. There is an IED, which is exemption if the court finds that your dog isn't a danger to society. It comes with stringent rules.

You say your dog doesn't look like a pitbull, get someone to put that in writing and be proactive about it. There's already a complaint lodged against the dog.

Here's anoter thing - and something you really need to think about. Say the police came to your house with a warrant to seize the dog - they are just doing their job. Your dog is in the back yard, 2 officers enter the back yard unannounced to the dog. How do you think your dog is going to react? Only you know that. The police are going to assess the dogs aggression or reactivity as they are seizing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts