Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until now I've always used Advantix on my dog to prevent fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. I don't know what happened this year but the product has somehow stopped being effective and my dog ended up getting fleas and ticks. My vet suggested stop using Advantix and to have my dog take a pill of Bravecto to protect against fleas and ticks instead + a Scalibor collar to prevent mosquitoes (mainly those that may transmit Leishmaniasis).

Everything seemed normal at first but then my dog started getting really itchy and twitching a lot. On the first night with the Scalibor collar she barely slept because she couldn't stand still for more than 2 minutes. She kept moving around as if she couldn't find any comfortable position. Initially, I thought it had to do with the flea bites making her uncomfortable, but by the second night she got worse: she got more agitated and the twitching was even more intense so I just decided to take the collar out (after 38 hours with it on) and she instantly got better, although she still twitched and moved around whenever she tried to go to sleep but with much less frequency.

The collar seems to have had some neurological effects on her (which I find absolutely unacceptable) and after taking her to the vet again today, I know that everything appears to be fine and that it was an allergic reaction to the collar. Supposedly, all side effects should disappear 48 hours after removing the collar. It still hasn't been 24 hours since I took the Scalibor collar off my dog and, unsurprisingly, she's still twitching and moving around when she tries to sleep. I just hope the side effects really do disappear after the 48 hours. I'm very worried.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? Have the symptoms disappeared after removing the collar? Thank you.

·
Registered
614 Posts
It sound like it was a bit too much almost like an overdose of flea and tick treatment. Not sure why the vet recommended both, there's no product out there that really repels mosquitoes , I would say it was too much. And while Bravecto is a good product they say don't use it with any other for of flea/tick treatment/preventative.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts