Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had Buddy, an extended foster dog, a 2-4 year old Chi mix, in our home since December. He was found at a gas station the week of Christmas, and had nowhere else to go so we offered to temporarily foster until he was cleared to fly to a rescue in the main US. Well, surprise, kid had bad heartworms. Got him through the rescue's treatment protocol for it, had him neutered and finally got an email that he was cleared to travel in April. Not 2 days after we got the email, he started coughing horribly, so back to the vet and it turned out the treatment didn't kill all the heartworms, his heart was double the normal size and they would do another round of treatment but weren't sure he'd survive it. My tough tiny man pulled through just fine, and now he's ready to travel again. I just don't know how to let him go. He's best friends with my 2 younger dogs, and he's my snuggler. He's definitely bonded to everyone here and my heart breaks thinking of him leaving. We have 3 dogs of our own, and we have no idea where we're moving next year, so I KNOW I can't keep him, but it just hurts. Anyone been through this and can help me deal?

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
I can understand how that would be heartbreaking. I feel for you. I could never foster for that reason, I'd get too attached. Too bad you won't know what kind of home the little guy is going to, but I'm sure it's somewhere good. Hope you feel better.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
900 Posts
Can the rescue let you know what type of home he will be going to? Perhaps if you knew he was going to a good family will help ease the pain of letting him go. I almost always cry when a foster leaves and many times have gone to the pet store and bought my resident dogs toys as a way to distract me from feeling sad.

Also think about it this way; a new space in your home has opened to help another animal in need of your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts