Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've decided to start giving the dogs sardines once a week in addition to giving them coconut oil (no coconut oil on sardine days, and they get CO almost every day but some days without). Besides the health benifits, and being relatively cheap it seemed a lot easier to deal with then trying to fiddle with plain old fish oil. They both love it and today is week three. My question is I know 1 tin of sardiens once a week is fine for sawyer (45-46 pounds), but Maye is 28 pounds so is 1 tine once a week fine for her too or should I only do half a tin?
The first two weeks they shared a can, sawyer got two fish, maye got one and the juice split. Today was the first day the each got their own tin. That way I could check if they liked it and if it did well with their systems.
The ones I get have 3 relativly good sized sardines and plenty of juice (I make sure to get water packed).

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I don't feed whole or canned fish, I use fish oil capsules. But, watch the salt content with canned. Sometimes they are pretty high.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have in the past fed canned fish, but I always rinse it a few times to try to flush some of the salt out. Now I have a steady supply of whole frozen sardines so I feed them instead. I'd start out on the lower end, feeding the fish and raise it up if your dog is fine with it.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
261 Posts
What I do is eat some sardines myself and just give my dog what's left in the can, lol. Even though those cans are small I never want enough sardines to finish the can.

Smash those sardines with some whole grain mustard, evoo, and the juice of one lemon and enjoy it on a salad :thumbsup:

In other words I give my dog sardines often and it makes his coat soft and shiny but I don't measure it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts