Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, We have two Catahoulas, female; The 1 year old female was quarantined at the foster home for two months for the sarcoptic; she has been dipped twice for sarcoptic mange and has finished tx with an oral antibiotic, an antibiotic spray, and an antihistamine. However, when one red patch clears up another one starts, they are on her breastbone, jowls, and the folds of skin in her neck. She has had one dose of Revolution (3 weeks ago) She also gets once a week medicated baths with a antifungal/bacterial shampoo. She itches constantly when we aren't watching; we have fashioned a quilted neck sleeve for her and that seems to work to cover the inflamed areas, but we can't seem to get it cleared. Her sister had both demodex and sarcoptic also. What else can we do for her to ease her suffering and to get this cleared for her. We will take her for another dip at the vets...we change bedding, etc. We have been treating her for 3 months now. Any suggestions? Thanks! I added her picture to show the condition she was in upon rescue.

This is Addison at 2 months, time of rescue. She is on the left in my avatar.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We had a Vizsla/Pointer cross that would occasionally get that. We would go through the vet process, but it kept coming back and it got expensive and she didn't have it to the extent your poor girl does. What we ended up doing was using Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap and it usually cleared it up and provided relief for her just as quickly as the vet meds. It might be something you can add to what you're already doing that might help.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks so much, I am going online right now and ordering some! Did you buy the bar soap or the liquid castile soap? I just looked and Target has both.

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
Her Revolution doses should be two weeks apart and be at least two doses.

Her skin should be rechecked for an infection and be treated with oral antibiotics for two weeks AFTER her skin infection is microscopically gone.

You can try different antibistamines.

And if antihistamines don't work, a steroid may be the best option to stop the itching.

Has she had general bloodwork checked to make sure she doesn't have an underlying condition that is preventing her from shaking this?

You may need to move on to a Dermatologist. https://www.acvd.org/

·
Registered
54 Posts
wow am I glad that the picture wasnt her now :(
Poor little baby.
I have also found that diet can help as it helps them fight the infection. Have you tried probiotics??

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will add probiotics to her diet also! Addison is a definite trooper and has the heart of a lion (although is so skittish still).

·
Registered
725 Posts
Someone I know is fostering a 10 year old Schnauzer mix right now with a similar problem. Not sure if I can post the blog site she writes, so mods please remove if it is not allowed:
Furry Four Legged Foster Friends
As far as I know they are still in the process to figure out the cause of it and are considering food allergy as the culprit since the skin scraping came back negative.

I feel so sorry for these kind of skin condition sufferers. It must be maddening to be so itchy!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Demo shouldnt itch so its likely the sarcopties or the secondary. None of my demo dogs ever scratched even with secondaries but the sarcops sure did

Dont trust negative scrapes...

I personally like ivermectin for demo. Revo worked in one dose for the sarcops
Posted via Mobile Device

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. We gave another dose of the Revo tonight. We will be doing one more dip and getting more blood tests done for immune/thyroid. Adding probiotics and following all the advice from posters and talking with the vet. She now has spots/hairloss on her muzzle below her left eye. Her skin is so irritated in the hairloss spots...its so frustrating cause I know it bothers her.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My little allergy guy uses Atopica which suppresses his immune response to whatever makes him itchy. Since we are not sure if it is food related, we limit the ingredients in his food. It sounds like you are a dedicated and loving owner, and you will figure it out.

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
Now that she has the hair loss on her muzzle, below her eye, you'll have to follow Crio's advice and do the oral Ivermectin... is she pure Catahoula? If unsure, I'd be worried about the MDR gene given what mixes she could be... .

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have both the dogs eating Azmira lamb as the older one is terribly allergic to dozens of other foods we have tried, including RX ones. She is so smart she refuses to eat anything that isn't her dog food! I bought health insurance for the younger one, Addison so cost isn't a problem (I hope!). She finished her one antihistamine and I am taking the printout from the posts and making a list for the vet. We WILL figure this out, we love her tons and just want her to feel better. I will add Atopic to it. Thanks so much. Such great input.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Holly, we need to cover the basics first with the additional blood test/immune system, consult about the sarcoptic, etc. before moving onto the environmental/dermatological area. There is a certified derm dr. very close to our home too. We really respect the v/s we see as they are thorough and dedicated to finding answers for their "patients". Addy is on the couch next to me and she moans every once in awhile so I know she is just plain uncomfortable. She uses her "voice" a lot to communicate with us, it makes our job easier!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts