Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya guys i think samson is developing a Separation Anxiety, He's had his crate for a few weeks now and i've been training him going off things ive found online.

He sleeps & eats in his crate and will go to his crate on command.
During the night i do not hear a peep from him at all, he happily sleeps in the next room with his crate door closed until morning time.

I work from home so i'm here almost all the time, on the odd occasion we have to leave him at home (when we go visiting family), this is where the problem is.

He whines and barks and weve had complaints from neighbors, now we may have to leave him 3 times a week for a max of 4 hours.

Do you guys have any advice for me, he's a border collie and very smart, he's getting 2 x 1 hour walks a day and running on the field to tire him out and has lots of mental stimulations with trick training.

By the time i've put him in his crate and started going down stairs he usally starts whinning.

Please Advise

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
I would try a few things.
First give him different things to do in his crate. Stuffed kongs are great. You could also give him a favorite chew toy to chew on! Do this often and not only when you are going to actually leave. If that is the only time you only give him a special treat like a stuffed kong, he will learn that the kong means that you are leaving.

Pay close attention to his behavior when you are getting ready to leave. When does he actually start to get anxious? Is it when you put on your shoes or when you pick up your keys? There will be a specific point where he starts to show some anxiety over you leaving. Once you figure out a trigger, then start to switch up your routine. For example, If his trigger is when you put on your shoes, then at random points in the day put on your shoes and walk around the house. Don't actually leave. Also, when you do leave put your shoes on ealier than you normally would.

You may also want to exercise him just prior to leaving. Chances are that if he is super tired he will be better behaved when you leave. Tired dogs are good dogs.

And just out of curiosity, how is he if you leave him out during the day when you are not home?
If he is well behaved out of the crate when left home alone, then why not continue to do so. You can always crate train very slowly working up to longer amounts of time.

·
Registered
22,639 Posts
you may find something helpful here:
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training/crate-training-faq-3974/

ditto kmes, give him something to do while you are out... also, if you are home with him, that is a great time to work on the crate training... practice putting him in for very short amounts of time then letting him out, gradually, but randomly increasing (meaning don't steadily increase the time 1min, 2min, 3min... do .5min, 1min, .5min, 1min, 1.5min, 1min... and so forth) the amount of time he is in there...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
x2 - I wouldn't say that either Tonka or Chloe had 'separation anxiety', but Chloe would whine for a few mins when I crated her and left.

I had already developed a 'Crate Ritual' for Tonka - he never had any problems, so I already had confidence it would work, and I just used it with Chloe. Had to change hers up a LITTLE bit, but not much.

EVERY (and I mean EVERY) time you crate / kennel the dog, give a treat - something high-value (generally soft / chewy / stinky). Praise, and leave.

To mix it up with Chloe, I practiced a few times by going through the crate ritual, then leaving (for real) - starting the Jeep in the garage, opening the garage door, backing out into the driveway, closing the garage door. Then I'd wait about 5 mins, and 'come back'.

I did this with the windows open in December, so I could hear real-time how she was reacting.

For the first few 'practices', she whined until I came back in. After that, (almost magically), she stopped whining. When she finally didn't whine, I praised / treated / threw a party.

After about a week of intermittent 'practice' and 'reality', it was a non-issue anymore.

Also - what kmes said about tired dogs being good dogs - x1000 !

Now, I don't even have to tell them to 'Crate up', my morning ritual is pretty predictable, and as soon as they see me put my socks on, they both run to their crates (sometimes they get in the wrong crate though!) and wait for their treat.

With Tonka - I could tell him to 'Crate up' and leave for the day, when I came back, he would still be in his crate - he loves it in there. Chloe- she doesn't mind, sometimes goes in there to lay down on her own, but she wouldn't just stay there.

Good luck - and keep us posted what you try, what works, what doesn't - oh yeah - and don't 'expect' your dog to whine. Might sound stupid, but your body language has a lot to do with their reactions...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your replys, i do give him a kong in his crate, also he doesnt seem anxious until i close him in the crate and start walking away, when he sees me walking away towards teh stairs down the hall thats when it begins.

he happily goes in his crate when i'm working (same room) he will just relax in there and he cant see me (sides covered up) but he can hear me.

I'll try some of the other things you suggested too, fingers crossed it all goes well, weve been here 3 months and i dont wanna upset people and i want samson to relax + not stress himself out

Thanks

I'll try some big walks before i ever leave him but sometimes this isnt possible

P.S when we got him we let him have the run of the house and he chewed our coffee table, that was when we first had him, maybe i should try him again after a long walk, i just have visions of him running up and down the garden barking lol

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
P.S when we got him we let him have the run of the house and he chewed our coffee table, that was when we first had him, maybe i should try him again after a long walk, i just have visions of him running up and down the garden barking lol
:pI remember that now!
Yep, I would crate him too!

Do what Fawkese suggested, with slowly building time.
Be sure practice crating him by:
you going to the door and coming back
going out the door and coming back
Going outside, turning on your car, and the coming back
Leaving and driving around the block and then returning
So on and so forth!
But also do this in a random order. For example, if her can be left without whining only as far as you turning on your car and then returning, then go no further. But mix it up. Somtimes you'll crate him and only go to the door. Other times you'll go outside, and sometimes you will turn on your car.
Hope that makes sense! I'm not always good at explaining!

Oh! You may also want to record him when you are gone. A tape recorder is fine for just recording how long he whines, but a webcam or video camer would also allow you to alos see what he is doing!

·
Registered
22,639 Posts
good suggestion with the recording... i record clover when i leave him at anytime other then going to work (i used to then too, but now he is ok with it...) bc he was quiet when i left and when i came home, i didn't think he was having issues with it, but if i leave him anytime outside of my normal routine, he lasts about 15 minutes before he freaks out, i've been trying to build on that...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys, i know its pretty oppasite of what all of you said but i couldnt bare another day of him barking while i was away, i knocked nextstore and told them i was going out and to listen out as i decided to give samson the run of the house while we were gone ( i shut the door of some bedrooms).

We were gone 3 hours and we were told he didnt make a sound at all,these where the same people who said he was a pain last week.

Therefore i am happy to give him access to most of the house while we are out, he will still eat and sleep in his crate, i thank you all for your advice, maybe having him free while were away is a good idea in case of intruders too, i just have to make sure he is worn out and doesnt have access to things he can chew lol, he is a pup after all.

thanks again

·
Registered
14 Posts
Stuff Kongs with peanut butter or dog treats. I get these ones from my vet that help keep their teeth healthy, and Gunner would eat himself to death on them if he could, but it gives them a challenge for a little while to work out whatever is crammed in it. Plus they love the rubber.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE!!

Just thought I'd update on what happened with Samson, we still have the crate, he relaxes in there when he's tired/hot & he also sleeps in there with the gate closed, I now give him the run of the house when we are out and always leave him with "while we are away toys" + his kong, I always take him out and get him tired before we leave him and this stops him getting bored and getting into things.

Thanks all for helping me figure this one out, this is no longer a problem

·
Registered
22,639 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts