Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m new to the forum, and I had a few questions about a breed I am getting. I was looking for a Samoyed dog that looked like this:
But I got contacted from a breeder saying their puppies look like this:
Dog White Carnivore Companion dog Toy dog

And their parents look like this:
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Snout

Do you think the puppies could turn out to be like the Samoyed in the first picture? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Not impossible, but probably not.

And to be honest, getting a dog that looks exactly like that is a pretty tall order. It's a different individual that is uniquely itself with separate genetic factors and influences. Adding to the difficulty is the fact puppies' faces and looks can commonly change quite a bit.

Your best bet is to get a puppy who want aesthetically is from parents and grandparents whose looks you like. While that stacks the deck, that is no guarantee the puppy will look like the one in your head or the adult version.

And maybe I'm just jumping ahead, but keep in mind, no gorgeous look is going to be fair compensation for a lifetime.of poor temperament or a bad fit.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Not impossible, but probably not.

And to be honest, getting a dog that looks exactly like that is a pretty tall order. It's a different individual that is uniquely itself with separate genetic factors and influences. Adding to the difficulty is the fact puppies' faces and looks can commonly change quite a bit.

Your best bet is to get a puppy who want aesthetically is from parents and grandparents whose looks you like. While that stacks the deck, that is no guarantee the puppy will look like the one in your head or the adult version.

And maybe I'm just jumping ahead, but keep in mind, no gorgeous look is going to be fair compensation for a lifetime.of poor temperament or a bad fit.
I'm confused. What about the OP's question lead you to think those puppies would have either poor temperament or be a bad fit?

@Lucy brown, are you seeing a lot of difference between the adult dogs in what is now the second and third pictures? To me it looks like the last dog was just groomed and in a better light than the dogs in the second picture.

Generally speaking, Samoyed dogs are medium sized white fluffy dogs with short, erect ears. As Shadowfox said, there will be individual differences, but the Samoyed dogs I've seen all fit that basic description. And I'd say the puppies pictured will absolutely grow up to look like the adults pictured!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
And maybe I'm just jumping ahead
Nothing about these puppies makes me think that anything is undesirable about them. I generally say this to anyone who seems to really be focusing on looks versus the whole picture. And maybe OP isn't, maybe I'm just projecting dubious thoughts from observed experiences of people who said, "I want this dog/puppy because it looks like this picture," that ended negatively. Which I obtusely admitted in my own post that I may be jumping ahead, and put the statement in the end as a suggested thought.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
What I have found when selecting puppies, is that I get attracted by looks first, but then select solely by personality and whether or not the puppy and I are attracted to each other. The best way is for the puppy to choose us.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think what is throwing her off is the short noses and floppy ears on the young puppies. If she is new to dog ownership, she would not know that the puppies' noses will grow and eventually the ears will change and stand erect. Most ears come up later in puppyhood although once in a while you get a floppy ear that stays floppy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts