Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Here’s how to be safe when you’re pounding the pavement with your dog at night.

There are many people who’d rather jog at night with their dog than in the morning or during the day. They find that there’s not as much traffic on the roads or sidewalks. In the summer, the temperatures cool down, which means it’s easier to breathe. And perhaps the most compelling reason of all for jogging in the evening is that it lets both you and your dog blow off some steam after a tough day at the office.
But during the fall and winter seasons, the shorter days mean it gets darker sooner; there’s not as much daylight for your morning or evening jog with your dog. But that doesn’t mean you should slack off for a couple of months. You just need to take a few extra precautions.

Same Old Routes

It’s good to stick to a routine, especially when it comes to jogging with your dog. Stick to routes you know because you’ll be less likely to bump into objects concealed by the darkness. And if you’re running slow, your family will know where you are or where to look for you.

Time to Reflect

Black may go with everything, but it’s also camouflaged by the darkness. If you’re planning on running with a dog at night, be sure to wear clothing that can be seen in the dark, and attach illuminated strips to your dog’s collar. It may not be the style you’re into, but we’re guessing you’d rather be safe. Remember: the more visible you and your dog are, the safer you’ll be. There are plenty of dog accessories available that are perfect for running at night, like reflective collars, leashes and vests.

Read More
Safety Tips For Running with a Dog at Night | The Honest Kitchen Blog

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'd recommend a lighted collar over a reflective collar, and if available lighted arm bands (we got some great ones from home depot). They are more pricey but reflective material doesn't create it's own light, it relies on the light of a more powerful object. This has all sorts of angle and other issues, especially when it gets to be on a dog-level. I let my dog run around in the dark and I think reflective gives a false sense of security.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts