Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have two dogs, I'm thinking I need to find breakaway collars (I have witnessed a dog almost die after having another dog's jaw stuck under it's collar. We couldn't get the collar off and had to cut it. It was so tight the dog passed out. We couldn't cut the collar without cutting the dog. It was horrible)

Anyone use break away collars? Recommend?

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Nope.

The way I see it is that you can't protect your dog from everything. There's always risks. You just have to weigh them and deal with them accordingly. My dogs don't play when I'm not home. And when they do play, they're not really collar grabbers. I'd rather have a secure collar so that they have an ID on them at all times. Not a collar that could break off because they scratch, or it got snagged, which is my experience with breakaways. They're not very secure.

In all the years I've had dogs as an adult and growing up as a kid, I've never had an incident involving collars. I have had a dog get out or bolt, that were returned because of the ID tag on the collar. The collars I use are all snap buckle collars, not traditional buckles, so so easy enough to get off/on if needed.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Nope.

The way I see it is that you can't protect your dog from everything. There's always risks. You just have to weigh them and deal with them accordingly. My dogs don't play when I'm not home. And when they do play, they're not really collar grabbers. I'd rather have a secure collar so that they have an ID on them at all times. Not a collar that could break off because they scratch, or it got snagged, which is my experience with breakaways. They're not very secure.

In all the years I've had dogs as an adult and growing up as a kid, I've never had an incident involving collars. I have had a dog get out or bolt, that were returned because of the ID tag on the collar. The collars I use are all snap buckle collars, not traditional buckles, so so easy enough to get off/on if needed.
My opinion, too. Years ago, we lived at a camp, and the director's dog used to play with the Lab mix we had. She had a habit of grabbing our dog around the neck. His quick release buckle opened a couple of times when she yanked on it. There was little chance either of them was going to get "stuck".

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
We don't do collars in the house to prevent issues(Karma and Bo can both be collar grabbers when they play mainly Karma though), but they have regular buckle collars with name plates etc that go on anytime they leave the house.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
We don't really use collars when we are in the house, since there isn't anyway they could get out. We also crate Heidi when we leave the house (mainly because she is a chewer/not quite housebroken), so their collars are off during crating as well. If we go anywhere they have secure collars with tags, and Levi's Harness has tags as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There's always risks. The core point is not collars, but ourselves. In my opinion, we should avoid the danger as possible, keep an eyes on your dog.
Specifically, It depends on the kinds of situations, we may have different solutions when meet different case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.