Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum, couldn't find a 'dog safety' thread, so post is here in 'gear'.

Dog: (Hazel) 45lb female bull terrier.

Had until recently been transporting Hazel in cab with harness/seat belt.

Recently bought fiberglass canopy (cap) for truck bed, and now plan to transport her back there (have sliding glass to communicate).

I want to know how others secure their dog when transporting it as such.
I have heard of establishing tethers (to dog's harness) from bed tie down points, using a crate, or neither (free roaming).

I am disinclined to let her roam.
I don't know anything about the safety afforded by tie down tethers/harness systems.
If using a crate, is metal/wire type sufficient, or rugged plastic airport transport style crate necessary?

Thanks for any shared experience, or better yet, direction to resources to address this.
J-

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Even with the canopy I wouldn't let her roam free. Truck beds aren't really the safest places to keep dogs while driving. The mettle doesn't offer much traction and especially if you need to stop fast the dog can slide around. Even if you get a harness or tie down in the back she can still slide. I'm not really sure what the fiber glass canopy looks like (I looked it up on google but I'm not sure if that's what you have), is it pretty sturdy especially around the conecting points?. I personally think if you really really want her in the back I would get a kennel and use tie down straps and bungee cords to keep the kennel in place and to keep it from sliding (putting a mat in the back under the kennel would help too, to keep it from sliding on the mettle). Since there is the fiber glass canopy I think you could use either a mettle or plastic, maybe look for one that's specifically made for travel so it can handle being in the car and some mild jostling from bumps.
But in my personal opinion in the cab with you is safer for her.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
When I had big dogs we had a 'truck bed tether' for them ....it worked well! Here in Calif it is against the law to have a dog in the bed of a truck without a tethering system. Kept the dog centered so it couldn't jump out and hang itself, never had a problem with slipping and sliding..............

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
LuvMyFluff brings up a good point, were you live might have a law about having dogs in the back of trucks.

LuvMyFluff- Ive personally never had any experience with dogs riding in the bed of trucks, but it seems like it would be slippery given that theres no place for their claws to grip, at least to me. But maybe bigger dogs have better balance in those cases?. Anyways I'm more warry of keeping dogs in truck beds because ive heard to many bad stories about them, even a recent one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts