Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a school nurse and one of my little kindergarteners just arrived to school late after spending the morning at the ER. Her 16 year-old brother's 9 month-old puppy bit her on the face. It's a really bad bite- takes up the entire right side of her face, drew blood, hugely swollen, just missed her eye...

The whole situation makes me so sad. I know this child pretty well and to say she is hyperactive and defiant is an understatement. The dog is a 9 month-old "designer dog mix" of some sort, purchased by an uncle at a pet store as a birthday gift for her 16 year-old brother. Of course the puppy never had any training, is almost surely from a puppy mill, spends most of his time in a cage...mom told me that the dog was eating spilled food off the floor when the little girl hit him really hard to make him stop eating and he lunged at her face and bit her :( And then proceeded to tell me this happened a few weeks ago as well.

So she has ordered that the uncle come get the dog and get it "out of the house TODAY". She then says "I will have to just get my son something small like a chihuahua" :eek:

We had a long talk about dogs and training, that they need a LOT of appropriate R+ , that a busy 16 year-old shouldn't have a dog, etc. I just feel sick to my stomach about the whole situation and needed a place to vent to those that would understand why I am so sad for the dog. Yes, I feel bad that the little girl got bitten, but it really in't the dog's fault, and they are "fixing" the situation buy buying another dog, only smaller...

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
This truly is a sad situation. But really, she hit him! And while he was eating too. I agree this is a family that should NOT have a dog. Any small dog is going to be abused for sure. Even if children are nice I usually recommend families with small kids not get tiny breeds like Chihuahuas. And a pet store Chihuahua is likely to be a nervous wreck as well. -hugs- it's frustrating.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I'm sorry, that's so frustrating. It is a little surprising that the mother didn't recognize that smacking a dog is probably going to elicit a response. Poor dog never had a chance. Obviously no bite inhibition was learned, so what were his options really?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
That's a really sad situation, very worrying that they think a small dog is the answer. Hopefully the dog finds a better place and the girl's face heals.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Sad situation all around, and of course the dog will take full blame. It's good that you can see all sides of the situation MHDDOG2016.

·
Registered
641 Posts
A defiant, hyperactive five year old is going to be a nightmare for any dog, regardless of size or temperament. A mild-mannered, even tempered dog is going to take way too much abuse and, really, at some point is probably going to have enough too. And a small dog could be very easily hurt or even accidentally killed by a child treating it too roughly, especially when it's a puppy. I mean, if a dog weighs eight or ten pounds fully grown, how much is it going to weigh at two months? And how much does that kindergartener weigh? Also, at this point, having gone through the trauma of a serious bite, what is her reaction going to be to any dog that joins the household?

Getting another dog right now, perhaps ever, is just not a good idea for this family. I know you realize that, of course, and it must be hugely frustrating for you. I had a similar issue yesterday when I found out a young couple I know got a female dog to go with their male and they don't want to "fix" either one because they'd like to have a litter or two first. And yes, they are purebreds, and I asked a few pertinent questions, but what I really wanted to do was ask if they understood how many dogs are already out there looking for homes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts