Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "breeder" said she did not have any additional pics of the puppy, no pics of the parents and the clincher was that there were no vet records, she administers her own vaccinations and wormers that she orders online. *sigh

I have all the puppy supplies on their way to my home, now to find the puppy. We are sad.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear this. I'm sure you must be very disappointed. *hugs*

But I have to ask, how is it you found this breeder? What was your deal with them going to be? I think you just need to be more diligent in how you pick a breeder, or go to a rescue. I also admit that when I saw your last post with the dog's picture (and mention of the breed) I assumed it was a puppy mill or backyard breeder. 9 times out of 10 "designer" breeds like that, are mills. So on the bright side, you're not ending up with a dog who will likely have poor health, or contribute to the awful backyard breeding/mill industry. Please feel free to ask any questions about finding a good person and place to get a new puppy, we would be very happy to help so those puppy supplies will get some use!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
That is sad, but maybe better to do without now rather that support a bad breeder/end up with a dog with major issues.

Have you considered rescue puppies? Sometimes if you're lucky you can find small breed puppies in shelters/rescue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are looking for a toy size dog, nonshedding, hypoallergenic. We liked the mix of maltese/shih tzu but that's not good? My poor kids were so looking forward to the puppy arriving Sunday. I live in New England if anyone can point me to a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
On your new search, I would really not seek out a mix dog like that. The thing is, typically anyone who breeds a combination of any popular breeds, they are a backyard breeder or mill. The fact is...there's just no reason for dogs like that to exist. There are no purebreds that don't already fulfill those things. Shih Tzus, Maltese, Bichons, and Mini or Toy (NO teacup!) Poodles do not shed and are typically good with children. Not only that, but a "designer" dog is...well, a gamble. There is no standard temperament, look, or even coat type. For example, Tyrion is a Maltese/Yorkie mix, and he's got blond-ish hair, a curly tail, small floppy ears and a yorkie bark. I've seen other Maltese/Yorkies who just look like they have dilute Yorkie colors with a docked tail, another that are snow white with erect ears. So you will *not* know what you get.

So if you want a dog from a breeder, try one of the breeds I just suggested. Make sure it's a breeder that will let you visit their facility and meet their breeding stock. If they say no, then walk away. A breeder should be proud of her animals and want to show them off. A good breeder will typically NOT ship dogs. A good breeder will make sure you're good people who they want their dogs to go to. They should also, absolutely show you lots of health checks. If not, walk away. It's also a very good sign if their dogs do sports or shows. Good breeders don't just breed for pets.

And don't rule out rescues! There are shelters and rescues that will occasionally have puppies like that, but it isn't as common. But our dog Tyrion--who as I said, is a Maltese/Yorkie, which does not shed, came from an inner city shelter. We adopted him at just about 7 months old. Give petfinder a browse and you might be surprised at what you see. And while it's hard and upsetting for your kids, it's a good lesson on scams and people who don't treat animals (or other people!) right.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I will continue to check out petfinder, I had been looking there also. This woman told me that most give their own vaccinations? I'm thinking not.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Some do, my aunt used to. But regardless of home or clinic vaccinations, good breeders will have a great deal of vet records do back them up.

The Havanese and Coton de Tulear are great choices too, but they're rather expensive. Good luck on this and I really want to see how this process goes. :)

Reactions: spotsonofbun

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I think it needs to be said. When we say vet records, it does include the puppies, but it should also include the parents of the pups. Reputable breeders will do blood work on their adult dogs to make sure their pair is healthy and doesn't carry any genetic defects that can be passed down to the pups. So, when we say vet records, that is typically what we are talking about.

And last I checked, unless the breeder is a vet themselves, complete blood work can only be done by a certified vet. (If done the proper way.) I would even ask if you can have the name of the clinic, the phone number of the vet and the name of the vet so you can call to make sure they are ligit. (Maybe even visit the clinic to see for yourself.)

Reactions: Rain

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Even if the breeder is giving the pups the shots they should still have vet records proving that they have been vet checked. It's genetic health test that you should be asking about. Learn what genetic health problems are in the breed or breeds you are interested in and if genetic health test are available for it then ask to see the results of those test.

With the Maltese / Shih tzu breeder you could have asked if she screened for chiari malformation syringomyelia, if the dogs were free of luxating patella, if CERF test are done, if the dogs were tested for Renal Dysplasia, if they have OFA certification, among other test. Those are the test for some of the genetic health problems of Maltese and Shih Tzu.

If you need a low shedding, dog that will be easier for allergy suffers that is a mixed breed then your best bet would be to go with the cocker spaniel x poodle. There are some reputable breeders of those that are trying to develop the mix into a true breed you may get lucky and find one, but research both breeds and know what health clearances to ask for. Also please note that with any mix of poodle it's hit or miss as to whether the dogs will inherit the poodles coat and be easy for allergy sufferers to live with.

Reactions: Sha and natenqen

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We have expanded our search to include the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
We were all pretty bummed but things happen for a reason and this woman wasn't willing to offer any additional information or pictures. I will be sure to ask better questions up front this time around. thanks for everyone's advice

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I'm glad you're expanding your search, but be aware, Cavelier King Charles Spaniels have a lot of health problems, so make sure you're getting lots of health checks.

Reactions: Sha and Rain

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm glad you're expanding your search, but be aware, Cavelier King Charles Spaniels have a lot of health problems, so make sure you're getting lots of health checks.
I knew about the heart problem but you can check to make sure the parents didn't carry the genes? I guess I better keep reading.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I knew about the heart problem but you can check to make sure the parents didn't carry the genes? I guess I better keep reading.
I thought you wanted a dog that didn't shed or affect allergies? If you heard they don't shed or affect allergies, that is incorrect as they do shed quite a bit, and spaniel types can sometimes affect allergies worse than other breeds. But if you've changed your mind and are ok with breeds that shed that opens a lot more doors.

Cavs are FANTASTIC dogs. I love their spirits, their look and so much about them. But they are, in my opinion, the most genetically shot dogs there are. It's very sad. There are some breeds that are prone to certain health problems--and there are some breeds that will inevitably get health problems. For example, I got Doxies from a good breeder, but they still got back problems when they were elderly. But Cavaliers have some very serious health issues, mainly neurological and cardio issues. These are things that are both extremely expensive, painful, and eventually deadly. This is not to say that there are not some healthy ones, but they're harder to find. See, centuries ago they were *the* breed of the British Royals. But back then royals from different countries gave each other native dogs as gifts and that created many breeds we know today. So years ago Cavs started getting crossed with flat-nosed Asian breeds and became the English Toy Spaniels. Cavs were all but extinct. Then about 100 years ago one man wanted to revive the original Cavs and found as many as he could, which really wasn't a lot. More or less all Cavs now can be traced back to that revival, so they have a very small gene pool, much smaller than even most purebreds.

That being said, if you are very financially secure and willing to pay a lot (and probably travel) for an impeccable breeder Cavaliers are a great family pet.

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
We are looking for a toy size dog, nonshedding, hypoallergenic. We liked the mix of maltese/shih tzu but that's not good? My poor kids were so looking forward to the puppy arriving Sunday. I live in New England if anyone can point me to a reputable breeder.
I would think a poodle would be at the top of your list. They are sweet, smart and great family dogs. I am sure there is a rescue in your area. We had two growing up and they were wonderful dogs. I love the standard poodles they love to run fetch and play. They have hair instead of fur so would be the most hypoallergenic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, I learned quick that there are many health problems to the cavalier king charles so that stopped that.

We brought our new addition home (I'll have to change my screenname) this evening. I was at work and my hubby picked her up.

She is a mix of shih tzu and miniature poodle. I like that her nose is a little more elongated than the pure bred shih tzu. Her name is Marley Grace. She is just precious.

I think she is a perfect fit for the family. Now the puppy life begins, which will be busy but our family needed this. We lost a dog a few years (hubby says 5) back and so this is much needed.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Where did you find one so fast?! It wasn't a pet store was it? :-/ I hope everything goes well with her.

Reactions: crazy

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
@trackie88 i wonder if was pet shop too! i dont regret getting Jessie but if i could change where got her from i would of wanted reputable breeder. my next pup i will make sure comes from reptuble breeder

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A friend of ours got her dog from this breeder (he's a year old now). Saw what happened to us, made the suggestion and so we went to see the puppies. My husband fell in love.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts