Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I have sad news to share that I’ve been processing for a while.
I no longer have Aiden. He is now with a couple of friends of mine from my local greyhound community. Here’s the story: (please no harsh comments)

I went out to a movie with a friend for about four hours. Everything was dog proofed like usual and Aiden was used to be left alone for longer than that with no problem. When I got home around 7:30pm there was pink vomit on my floor in three places. I knew someone ate something they weren’t supposed to. Then I notice that Aiden is walking funny. Like he couldn’t balance. He also didn’t rush to greet me at the door like usual. I took him out to watch his gait to see what was wrong. Then I noticed the drooling.

My friend and I searched his beds franticly and noticed a chewed up bottle of ibuprofen. That bottle was in my tallest cabinet to be safe from the cats and Aiden. Apparently my cat found a way into that cabinet and knocked it and a few other things onto the ground. Aiden ate a whole 100 ct bottle of 200mg ibuprofen. He weighs 77 lbs. He was neurological when I got home and had vomited. So no, peroxide wouldn’t help. I called the Evet and my friend with a car (one of the ones he’s with now) and got him to the closest evet (30 miles away). I couldn’t stop crying. I laid in the back of the SUV with him to stop him from falling over or hurting himself.

It was very touch and go but he made it the first night pretty well. It cost about $1000 for the first night. Then I was told he would need 24hr hospitalization and blood panels for 3-4 days. They didn’t know if he would make it even with that, but that was his only chance at survival. That would cost anywhere from $3000-$5000 dollars. And they would need a credit card in order to even admit him at those kind of facilities. I tapped out my care credit and most of my personal savings for the first night. I couldn’t contact any loan companies to family because I had to pick him up at 7:30am and transfer him to a day hospital for continued care (it was a night only e-vet).

So the next morning he was doing much better and the evet was less concerned for some reason. She said he would be fine continuing his care in a vet clinic, which I thought I would be able to find a way to afford. Apparently she was misinformed or overly optimistic because my local clinic was very honest with me and told me that he needed to go to a fully equipped hospital for any real chance at survival. So I take him to my local hospital and they recommend that he needs as few trips as possible and he is still a very touch and go case.
So I made the decision to surrender him back to rescue only 6 months after I got him. So he could get the best possible care in the best hospital that I could not afford. It ripped my heart out. I couldn’t even look when they came to pick him up and loaded him in their van.
Thankfully, it was well worth it. With four days of constant care and fluids, he made it! And amazingly he has no current lasting effects from it. He is a walking miracle.

So now he is staying with a couple that has two senior greyhounds. He is great friends with all of them and is fitting in well. One of them is a stay at home and Aiden is never left alone (lest he chew on something poisonous again). I still see him sometimes and he is always happy to see me. I waited a month after the event (which took place May 25, five days after his 2nd birthday) so I could have a chance to process being without him, and he could adapt to his new life.

This is probably the worst thing I have ever had to deal with personally. Within 16 hrs I went from being happy to feeling like the world was ending. But I am happy that he is ok and will live a very happy life. Even if he is not mine. Apparently he does not Roo anymore though, which is sad. But he has a group of friends (10 hounds between all of the group) and is spoiled as he should be.

And I am happy to say that in a year or so I will be getting another greyhound, when I have money saved up and a better line of credit. And my medicine will be in a locked cabinet from now on.

I think the hardest part is that he was such a big part of my life. I didn’t know what to do with myself without him there. And he was my ESA, which made it even harder.

Thank you for reading all of this if you made it this far. Please no really rude comments. I’ve already heard that I basically poisoned my dog and then gave up when it got too hard. I don’t need to hear it again.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Oh, my gosh. I'm so sorry to hear all of that. I don't think you gave up--you did what you had to to make sure your friend made it through. I can't imagine how hard that must have been for you.

I'm glad Aiden made it through, and I hope in time you'll be able to get another furry friend to help you out. :)

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Sometimes doing the right, but hardest thing for our pets well being is the right decision. Don't blame yourself, things can and sometimes do happen.

Your baby is happy and healthy, thanks to you.

Someday you will have another pup to love and care for.
I'm sorry you had to go through this.

·
Registered
906 Posts
*hugs* I have some resources, but I do sometimes worry about what I would do if something really serious happened to my dogs. You did the right thing, in my opinion, and I'm so sorry you had to go through this heartbreak.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
(((HUGS))) I don't see how anyone could ever blame you!

You took the precautions that any normal pet owner would have taken to keep medicine out of reach of their pets not knowing that your cat would decide to open the cabinet. No one could have foreseen he would have done so.

You spent all that you had to get Aiden the medical care necessary to save his life, and that not being enough you very unselfishly gave him back to the organization that could get him the care he needs. To me that shows how much you adore him and how unselfish you are.

I'm so happy that he pulled though and is going on to live a happy, loved, life, I just wish that he could have stayed with you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all so much for your support! It means a lot to me. I live on this forum's happy posts and adoption sites while i plan for my next dog. I feel so lonely without one right now. So wish me luck please!

And please love and snuggle your dogs as much as you can. You really never know when you'll have to wake up without them, one way or another.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Im so very sorry you had to go through that, no one on this forum will think bad of you, you did what most people don't , you exhausted your options fanatically BUT you mad sure he got help!
Big Hugs for you!!!

·
Registered
734 Posts
I am so sorry this happened and I am happy that Aiden is ok . You did the best thing for him . That is love . I am glad you still get to see him too ..

·
Registered
641 Posts
How anyone could accuse you of poisoning your dog is beyond me. You put the medicine up in a high cupboard behind a closed door. I would bet most of us on this board, conscientious dog owners all, don't do more than that. How many people even have a lock on the cabinet in which their medications are kept? It's not like it's even a standard feature of medicine cabinets.

As for giving up on him when it got too hard, you did what you had to do in order to ensure the best outcome for him, regardless of how much it hurt you personally. I pass on to you the words a vet said to me when I had to make a difficult decision about my childhood dog: "You aren't just doing the right thing--you're doing the courageous thing because you're putting what's best for your dog first, regardless of how much it may pain it may cause you."

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
No one but an idiot could ever be harsh with your decisions and if they don't understand that accidents happen sometimes...well, as I said, they would be idiots not to know that.

For years, I've left my meds (hydrocodone, ibuprofen, asprin, blood pressure pills, and benedryl, on my counter, so you are a lot more cautious than I am in that you had your's up in a cabinet. I've never had my cats knock anything off of my counters...nor get up on them that often...so it wasn't a concern for me and if they did, I don't think any of the dogs I have would have ended up munching on them, except for maybe Harper...and she passed away some years ago.

I'm sorry you had to give up your dog due to financial reasons....that there is what makes me sick...in that you did all you could, lost a lot of your savings and income with what you did do for the dog and had to turn him over anyways. It's too bad that rescue groups can't step in and help in special circumstances...like offer loans...to those owners who adopt and are showing a willingness to save their dog's life...as you did by spending so much money even before calling them.

My town as 2 vets, no 'hospitals'...and our vet services here are dirt cheap, but then too, due to that, they can't do some things that some of the fancier hospitals can do, although my vet does keep some dogs that she uses as blood donors...they wander around the vet's office often greeting people who come in.

At least you know who has Aidan and that he's ok. It's probably some comfort but I'm sure doesn't make up for the loss. Maybe you can talk to the rescue group and ask them if they could give him back to you (if that couple is just fostering him for now) and you could make some payments on his vet bill they incurred?

Whether saving up for a new dog or making payments on that bill...it's money that you have plans on not using for other things, and if it could get your dog back... ???

Never hurts to ask...the worse they could say is no, and that just leaves you where you are at now...without your dog. But maybe, if you showed them what you spent, and how the accident happened, they might understand and work with you. Tell them you can give still give this dog a forever home...not have it bounced into yet another home if he's being fostered again and then might go somewhere else. Tell them that while you didn't have all the money all at once, you can make payments. (as long as that is the truth and you can follow through).

It's a shame that the vet places won't work with people on financing the care of these pets. Over the years, my vets have always done so, and because of that, my dogs and cats didn't have to be put to sleep...because that would have been my only other choice if I couldn't have made payments.

Stormy

Reactions: Sha

·
Registered
16 Posts
You did what was best for your dog and that proves how much you love him! No one should say you poisoned your dog. Everyone has that in their house and it could of just as easily happened to someone else.

There was a case near me where a dog got ahold of those icebreaker ice cube gum which has the fake sugar in it, and the dog ended up dying.

Aiden is alive and well and even though it's hard that he isn't with you I'm glad you are trying to be positive. You got him to a vet, you got him the care he needed, and it's all going to be ok. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Stormy

Sadly, I already asked and it goes against their policy. They will not return a dog to the person who surrendered him. (though they will adopt to me again in the future or so I heard) And the couple has gotten quite attached. One of them in particular already says that Aiden is "his dog". I suppose that is a good thing. He is such an outstanding boy!

I wish the vets would work with us more too. Though i understand why they won't.

So now I am working towards a fresh start. Though I'm always scared that any dof will pale in comparison to Aiden. He was just so amazing. I was so lucky to have him as a first dog. :)

And i guess the rude person was of the beleif that you ahould have a savings for emergencies around $5000 or just not own a dog since things happen. And i wrote that i was concerned about future organ damage and not being able to take care of him properly (this was before he was out of the woods) and i guess they took as me just abandoning him to the rescue since he was too much work for me (not true of course). This was on a greyhound forum lol. But i got a lot of good support too, just a couple rude people making assumptions.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You did what was best for your dog and that proves how much you love him! No one should say you poisoned your dog. Everyone has that in their house and it could of just as easily happened to someone else.

There was a case near me where a dog got ahold of those icebreaker ice cube gum which has the fake sugar in it, and the dog ended up dying.

Aiden is alive and well and even though it's hard that he isn't with you I'm glad you are trying to be positive. You got him to a vet, you got him the care he needed, and it's all going to be ok.
Thank you for the positivity. :)

I do plan on dog proofing a little bit differently next time around though.

I find it quite ironic though that a month after this event my parent's dog got a bottle of vicoden and chewed the bottle open but didn't eat a single one. They weren't even broken or damp or anything. And they were all accounted for. Turns out I got the dog with a major oral fixation and one weird appetite.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok picture time. (if this works)

1. At the e vet at 11:30pm
2. On the way to the clinc at 8:00am
3. At the day hospital at 11:00 am
4-6. Last weekend at a get together.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
@Stormy

So now I am working towards a fresh start. Though I'm always scared that any dof will pale in comparison to Aiden. He was just so amazing. I was so lucky to have him as a first dog. :)
Sorry to hear that the rescue group won't work with people.

Seems to me that by using the dog as collateral - they could help with some of the treatment costs in certain cases, where they can see the dog owner is really trying their best...such as you, in maxing out your credit card, but still falling short by a few thousand dollars. They would have to pay for the dog's treatments anyway, if they take the dog back.

But in letting the owner keep the dog, they at least get their money back in payments, which they won't do if they just take the dog and give it to someone else. And if the dog owner doesn't follow through on a scheduled payment plan, they could then always go collect the dog and then give it to a new home anyways.

Better that way for the dog, so it's not bounced around to another home...and some of those dogs have done that too many times in their lives.

As for being scared about another dog not measuring up to Aiden. I've had a good number of dogs in my life, (I'm 51 years old) and I can say that no dog can really live up to another one...but..at the same time, personality quirks makes each dog so special that it's hard to compare them fairly anyways. At first, when getting another dog, you do see how much alike or how different they are from the other one that is no longer there...but then after time you grow to love all the things about the new dog that make it special.

Harper, the dog in my avatar photo. I never ever thought I would ever again have a dog so happy and so funny as her. She was pure 100 percent delightful to be around and so filled with love.....she just adored people. I never had a dog like her before. It broke my heart when I had to put her to sleep at the fairly young age of 8, due to her diabetes.

Then, I adopted a slightly retarded Golden Retriever, that I named HaHa and he is so much like her in so many ways....but very different in others....and while he has all of her charm, he also does things that leaves me laughing so hard my ribs hurt sometimes...he's just goofy as all get out, where as Harper was sheer love and didn't do 'weird' things like HaHa will do from time to time.

HaHa doesn't have Harper's ability to control the enthusiasm level...Harper could rush up to you, but then sit and wiggle and squirm and enjoy all the loving and attention and not once do I remember her ever scratching me, or stepping on my feet and leaving massive bruising...which was good because she weighed 120 pounds. HaHa however, has left me battered, bruised and scratched because he gets to wild and due to his mental issues, I am having a hard time in teaching him to 'reel it in'.

So...if you get another dog, I just know you will find things about the new dog that you will fall in love with, and it will be a fun thing I think, for you in discovering if those things will be things that are totally different or a lot like your other dog(s). Don't let it scare you. : )

Stormy

EDIT: I stuck a like on the photos...not so much due to the trauma and your losing him, but in that he's a beautiful dog and I'm glad he survived the poisoning. He does look happy and like he's feeling a lot better in the last photos. Thanks for sharing them.

Reactions: CatsandGreys

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
CatsandGreys,

Reading through your thread has just made me so sad for you. I'm glad that Aiden survived and is doing well, but my heart is breaking for you and your loss.

I hope that you will open your home and heart to another dog when you are ready.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Wow, I'm so glad you made it home in time! I'm sorry you had to give Aiden up and that the rescue wouldn't work with you in a case like this. You did what you had to do to save his life, and you shouldn't feel guilty or ashamed about that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@StormyPeak

Thank you so much for your perspective. I hope to have a rewarding experience with my next dog. Aiden was just so PERFECT. great with dogs, people, cats, didn't gaurd much, was good left alone, etc. The only thing was that he startled easily with loud noises, roads, and hated buildings and dooways. I have no idea why, and he loved houses. Just not buildings.

But I guess we'll just have to see what's in store for me in about a year or so. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts