Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have an 8-year-old dachshund mix, 25 pounds, and I'm running out of commands to teach her. For my other dogs I have plenty more to teach, but with Brandy, I'm fresh out. Brandy is extremely eager, intelligent, and has a very high-drive, and I really want to keep teaching her but I have no idea what. She can learn almost anything--her limit is her sensitive back. Because of it, I avoid tricks that involve standing on her hind legs or jumping, and of the few involving this that I HAVE taught her, I practice in extreme moderation.

With that in mind, here is a list of tricks and commands I've taught her thus far:

Obedience​
1. Sit
2. Come
3. Heel
4. Stand
5. Leave it (as in, never touch/interact with this)
6. Wait (as in, you cannot interact with this for now)
7. Stay (as in, physically do not move)
8. Lie down
9. Look (command for attention)
10. Drop it
11. Back (away from a door)
12. Down
13. Door etiquette-- taught to sit and look up at me before opening a door, then wait to be released through the doorway after I open it

Tricks​
14. Jump (in place)
15. Shake
16. Other paw
17. High-five
18. Go get your toy (from her basket)
19. Clean up (put her toys into the basket)
20. Sit pretty
21. Arm (she perches her front paws on my raised arm)
22. Spin
23. Spin the other way
24. Go get it (sniff out hidden treat)
25. Catch a treat in mouth
26. Catch a treat balanced on her nose
27. Sneeze
28. Dig (indoors or outdoors)
29. Roll over (fully roll, 360 degrees)
30. Bang bang (roll onto back, freeze until released)
31. Give me kisses
32. Crawl (army crawl across carpet)
33. Fetch
34. Target
35. Take it
36. Purse trick (where I have her put on or take off a toy purse)
37. Salute
38. Catch a rolling frisbee (would not include this if not for the fact that she has no interest in frisbees whatsoever and had to be taught and commanded to catch one)
39. Catch a frisbee in the air ("")
40. Weave (figure 8 through legs while walking or still)
41. Hold (like sit pretty, but where she holds onto my fist with her paws very tightly - very cute)

Gait Commands​
42. Walk
43. Trot
44. Canter
45. Back up (walking backwards on four legs)
46. Stop

NOTE: A gait command is when I ask her to perform a specific gait while at my heel on or off-leash, or to perform the gait while coming to me

Location-sensitive Commands​
47. In the house
48. Outside
49. In the car
50. Upstairs
51. Boost (She has a hard time getting onto things, so I taught her to get into a certain position to be boosted by her ankles onto a surface; this took a looong time to get her to tolerate and comply)
52. Lap (Another command taught out of laziness of not actually wanting to lift her-- she can be commanded to climb into my lap and be scooted down the stairs... hahaha)

Sorry for the super long text. You don't have to read it all, just refer to it when giving a trick idea. Anyway, the commands can be for obedience, conditioning, or just for fun. Also, please no special equipment. :) I don't have Agility equipment or anything like that. Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
What about some tricks with her back legs? I always thought it was hilarious when people could ask their dogs to "go pee on x" and have the dog lift the leg.
Other thoughts:
-Find the Front/Front position: Dog comes and sits/stands in front of you
-Push a ball
-Cop Cop: Dog's front paws go on your feet as you walk
-Side stepping/foot work with front paws
-Open/close drawers/crate door
-Big circles: Dog goes in a large circle surrounding you/object
-Away/Come By: Do goes around an object counter-clockwise/clockwise

Reactions: PacificBlue

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about some tricks with her back legs? I always thought it was hilarious when people could ask their dogs to "go pee on x" and have the dog lift the leg.
Other thoughts:
-Find the Front/Front position: Dog comes and sits/stands in front of you
-Push a ball
-Cop Cop: Dog's front paws go on your feet as you walk
-Side stepping/foot work with front paws
-Open/close drawers/crate door
-Big circles: Dog goes in a large circle surrounding you/object
-Away/Come By: Do goes around an object counter-clockwise/clockwise
These are some fantastic ideas! I'm especially fond of pushing a ball (she loves to chase her mini tennis ball so I'm sure she'd be plenty interested in that), footwork, and cop cop. I've heard of the cop cop trick, but I totally forgot about it and none of my dogs have ever learned it. Thanks for the ideas! :) I keep badgering my family and friends for ideas and no one can come up with any, haha. You've been a big help.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@PacificBlue - No problem! With a BC and an Aussie, I try to stay fairly busy in the tricks department. :p
Good luck! :D

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
What about teaching where's your bum/tushie/tail? It's really cute. There's a way on YouTube called how to train where's your bum for dogs.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
884 Posts
Super! I'll subscribe, as I'm going from rally & agility to tricks/freestyle to keep my next puppy active so I'm fishing for any and all ideas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow what a smart dog! I taught my older dog 'peekaboo'. I stand with my legs apart, and he comes from behind and stands between my legs looking up at me. It's super cute. He actually does this sometimes for attention. I have just recently started incorporating it with 'wave'. While he's in position, he waves his right foot when I point my right foot, waves his left foot when I point my left foot. It's like dancing.

I also taught him to weave while I am walking, or while I am standing still he does figure of 8s around my legs. I am in the process of teaching this to my doxie. It's really cute.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Count is a cool one.

I also like the light switch command. Turn one/off light switch.

There are more but those are the two I have off the top of my head right now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts