Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My partner and I run with our English Springer Spaniel, Lila. She usually runs with her, using a running belt, a frontclip harness, and a martingale collar. Lila took some time to get used to running/the equipment, but does a great job now.
With our new boarder collie, we really want him to be able to run with us. Right now he's very interested in cars and doesn't quite get walking on a leash yet, both things we are working on regularly.
What's the best equipment we can use to keep both me and him safe while running? He jumps and pulls quite a bit, lunging at cars. I want to make sure he's safe and secure, while also not throwing me off my balance too much. Should we be using the same equipment we use for Lila or is there something we can use that will be a little less jarring, both for dog and runner?

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
If he's lunging/jumping, I'd keep him on a harness, just to protect his neck. For your safety, I'd recommend getting something like this that will absorb some of the shock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did want to add that I saw the post on this earlier - but I thought this needed a bit more specific advice, seeing as how our dogs a bit larger. Also, I'm a half/full marathon runner, so it seems like a different game than the other running post I found was talking about.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Yeah, what are thoughts on a belt? My partner seems to think it's the best idea, so there's more control. Hips are stronger than my dinky arms. But I find that with some distance a belt can get uncomfortable. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
We trained Sasha in a quite park out of the cars for a month in the early morning so she didn't suffer the heat... at the beginning she was jumping all around confused then she started following the game.
We used specific equipment with belt with shock absorber, bungee cord and harness (she is a labrador medium size). I bought it online on this website www.neewadogs.com. For new subscribers there is a first time discount 20%. The equipment is so far the best I bought.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'd also recommend a harness for the BC, to protect the neck and to be able to work their body more effectively. As for yourself, look into skijoring or canicross belts. Alpine Outfitters is nice, and I've heard good things about Black Ice as well.

Do you have a mushing club anywhere in your region? They would be great people to get in contact with for equipment suggestions, and a fun training resource in general. Every musher I've ever met has been super helpful and beginner-friendly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.