Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking for suggestions for the best running gear for my 2 mini schnauzers. I would like to run 2-3 miles several times a week.

Ideally I am looking for a comfortable, adjustable belt (so both me and my husband can use it) with secure attachments for 2 dogs (no plastic clips). It would great if the belt had pockets (poop bags, iPhone, treats) and a water bottle holder, but this may not be possible. I also plan to buy two harness, one for each dog (I won't run with them on a flat collar).

I dont want the dogs running out in front. I want one dog on each side, with not too much lead. Both dogs have fairly good leash manners, as in they know how to heel and LLW. But, they do pull occasionally when they see a rabbit and sometimes get reactive (bark/lunge) when they see other dogs (less so when we're running).

Here is the equipment I am considering:

Harnesses:
http://www.ruffwear.com/Front-Range-Harness

Belt/leash combo:
https://irondoggy.com/collections/products/products/runners-choice-hands-free-leash

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=thinkpet+running+dog+leash

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0081XIML2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1461525016&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=outward+hound+belt&dpPl=1&dpID=31UChw1OKAL&ref=plSrch

Price is not a concern, I just want the best set up. One that will facilitate running and be super safe and comfortable.

One question I have is about these bungee leashes. I understand they reduce shock if the dog pulls, but will they encourage pulling the way a retractable leash might? Also, I wonder if these leashes are so long that the dogs will get in front of me or even cross. I don't want that to be a possibility.

Looking forward to your input! Thanks :)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Ive heard ruffwear harnesses are good, ive never used one but from lots of people on here ive heard good things. You can also look into alpine outfitters urban trail harness. This is the one I have and I highly recommend it, I also like it because its custom made and has padding on the entire harness.
Ive heard good reviews for Kijan/outward hound hand free leashes. @echokitten recently made a thread about hands free leashes for her husky. I cant remember off hand which one she ended up getting but I know she ended up liking it.

As far as I know bungee leashes don't encourage pulling. Retractable leashes can let the dogs go on forever, but bungee leashes only stretch around (I think) a couple of inches past their resting length to help reduce the pull. The belt will also help with taking on some of the pull force.
I would start running with each of them separately at firs to get them used to and to "train" them how work with and be on the leash/belt while running.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hello,
I use the Ruffwear Slackline leash for running 10+ miles with my dog. It is not padded but I don't have any issues because my dog doesn't pull. It is also very easily adjustable, and you can adjust the length of the leash as well.
I use a buckle collar for running because over long distances, harnesses will chafe. But for short runs like you are planning, a properly fitted harness should be ok. I use a Ruffwear Front Range for my 60 lbs Malinois and a Julius K-9 IDC for my 25 pound corgi mix.

·
Registered
44 Posts
For the belt, I actually really like my Ruffwear Omnijore hipbelt for running/canicross. It's a little bulkier than the ones you're looking at since it's designed for the dog to pull, but it comes with 2 side pockets (good for keys, poop bags, phone, wallet, etc) and a water bottle pouch. It's wide enough that it doesn't cut into my waist and detachable leg loops which I keep on since it keeps the belt right at my hip level and prevents it from riding up my waist. But because of that extra fabric, it can get a feel a bit too much in warm weather, but for 2-3 miles I think should be fine. My dog's car harness (Kurgo Tru-fit, with steel nesting buckles) doubles as his running harness if I'm not expecting him to do any pulling.

I don't think the bungee lines encourage pulling because leash pressure is leash pressure and if they have been trained to respond to that during LLW, the fact that the leash pressure is coming from a bungee line shouldn't make a difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts