Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So I'll just get right into it. My pup's main form of exercise is going on bike rides with me. Now, she LOVES bike rides, just about loses her little puppy mind about the idea of going on a bike ride. I don't really mind her getting excited (although my neighbors probably think I'm murdering my dog with how all the excited yipping) BUT once we get going I cannot figure out how to train her to slow down and come to a stop. Eventually she tires herself out and slows to a nice trot beside me, but every once in a while she starts nearly sprinting again.

She wears a harness while we bike and I have a bike attachment so it would be extremely difficult for her to hurt herself with all the pulling or for me to run into her, but sometimes I worry that she'll run herself to exhaustion. Plus obviously sometimes I need to stop/slow down for traffic.

Any advice? I say "whoa" as I'm braking so I'm hoping eventually she'll associate that word with slowing down, but so far it doesn't seem like the association is working.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Train her to walk and run on a the leash and whoa on the leash also. Now she will probably take off a little fast at first still but if she is learning walk then she will be able to associate with bike riding also. The whoa command to stop you can teach on a leash just Everytime you want her to stop say whoa and she will learn. :)

·
Banned
1,401 Posts
I go for a bike ride with my dog most everyday weather permitting. I encountered the same problems as Kaala as the dog just wanted to haul ass and tow me in the beginning. So, this is where we started, she had to earn the full out run and we generally began at a much slower pace at the beginning of the bike ride because she so wanted to go sprinter on me. I think this was due to two forces, one the excitement of the bike ride and two, opposition reflex. I used a long line with a section of shock/bungee cord spliced into the long line for both our benefits, mostly mine I'm guessing. Today, I just use a standard 6 foot lead. I decided the way to train the dog was to essentially use the same methods I had used for a basic walk. Heel when biking was to have the dog in the same position as walking or running, that was easy enough I guess. I think it was the training of the "slow" command which took a bit more patience and training but I trained a "slow" by running with the dog and then gradually slowing down while issuing my "slooooooowww" command and maintaining that the dog stayed in the heel slot. It all is as Markie mentioned essentially. Practice your biking cues and maintain compliance while walking/running. Teach lefts and rights as well, teach a "run" command while walking/running with your dog, teach a default sit every time you stop walking/running. All of this can be applied to your treks on the bicycle. The faster we are going on the bike, I tend to extend the length of my verbal cues especially the "slooooowwwww". The run command which is an all out pace, I have allowed my dog to take a more than forward position of a standard heel but as long as she keeps her "loose leash" command in order, I'm okay with it.

Glad to see you and your dog enjoy taking the bike rides together. Once the two of you operate as a team it's such fun.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I second what drivedog told you it's in much better detail and it's in the right terms she would need to be taught in :):):)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She's fun and can be a sweetheart, but man the amount of sleep I've lost just so this dog can go on a bike ride before I leave for the day haha. It's worth it though when I see how excited she gets.
And I appreciate the tips! I've been trying to convince myself to pick up running again. Maybe this will be the push I need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts