Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. This is my first post.
I have a new puppy. His name is Harlan, he is 8 weeks old (young, I know) and he is a German Shepherd /Lab mix.

Harlan LOVES to bite. The play biting is expected and I have dealt with that by gently grabbing his muzzle, giving him a firm NO! and providing him with the appropriate chew toy. That has improved. Harlan also likes to growl and bite - at my face- which I am not so cool with. I have tried the muzzle thing - firm "no". I have also pinched his scruff and put him in submission which was World War 3 until he calmed down. He is highly intelligent, willfull, stubborn and energetic.

My question is should I be worried? Am I overreacting? Will it just take more time due to his age and breed mixes?

I am used to Rat Terrier pups who were Angels by comparison. In all aspects of their training.

TIA:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello!
I recently got my 9week old pug x westie puppy! She play bites too:D
Im unsure on the growling, but i hope you get answers soon:D

Goodluck, Harlan is a lovley name!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you :). It just came to me for no real reason. I just like old fashioned names
He's being a good boy now napping in his crate. :D

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I have a new puppy. His name is Harlan, he is 8 weeks old (young, I know) and he is a German Shepherd /Lab mix.

Harlan LOVES to bite. The play biting is expected and I have dealt with that by gently grabbing his muzzle, giving him a firm NO! and providing him with the appropriate chew toy. That has improved. Harlan also likes to growl and bite - at my face- which I am not so cool with. I have tried the muzzle thing - firm "no". I have also pinched his scruff and put him in submission which was World War 3 until he calmed down. He is highly intelligent, willfull, stubborn and energetic.

My question is should I be worried? Am I overreacting? Will it just take more time due to his age and breed mixes?

I am used to Rat Terrier pups who were Angels by comparison. In all aspects of their training.

Hi and congrats on your new puppy.

Everything In bold. Stop doing. You are communicating one of several things when you are scolding your puppy that way..

1.scaring your puppy

2.teaching the puppy that your are unpredicatible.

or 3. (which is most likely in your case) arrousing the puppy further (getting him more excited) so he bites more.

Instead of No say "ow" and stop the game. Walk away if you have too. after about ten seconds start up again. You'll find this is far more effective at stopping the biting. This teaches the puppy that biting stops the fun, but in no way ruins his relationship with you like yelling at him and scruffing him will.

Now is the age to build trust. Your dog is an infant, hes not trying to dominate you.

Replacing your hand with an appropriate toy tho, that, my friend, is spot on! :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Ok. Thank you. There is just so much conflicting info around.
No worries. Thank You for taking my advise into consideration. Basically any training advise that sounds like it might damage your relationship with your dog should be taken carefully if at all.

Golden rule... don't focus on what you don't want, ever. Focus on what you do want. This is hard for us humans to do at first, but trust me, Your dog will love you for it. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I have a lab/collie who gets over excited and grabs arms and hands and even goes for feet. I do exactly what was listed above....I saw ow and walk away, go sit down, and act like im sad and upset. He has since stopped the behavior and now when he gets excited he just runs in circles lol. Yours is also still pretty young so give it time but the "ow" and walking away or turning away is the best tool I have ever used.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Also love the name

First I LOVE the name as well. My uncle [who passed last year] lived on Harlan :)

I'm having the same problem with my 7wk old chihuahua x. He LOVES to try and go for my face which makes it hard to lay in the floor and play without getting irritated. I haven't tried anything except a firm "no" and replacing with a toy. The only "toys" he has right now are ...my shoes :)(), a sock I tired in a knot in the middle, and a ball. He still prefers my hands, fingers, toes, nose, chin, etc.

Wondering if there are "best" toys for small breed dogs when teething. :confused:

Now playing: Creature Feature - Such Horrible Things via FoxyTunes

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi and congrats on your new puppy.

Everything In bold. Stop doing. You are communicating one of several things when you are scolding your puppy that way..

1.scaring your puppy

2.teaching the puppy that your are unpredicatible.

or 3. (which is most likely in your case) arrousing the puppy further (getting him more excited) so he bites more.

Instead of No say "ow" and stop the game. Walk away if you have too. after about ten seconds start up again. You'll find this is far more effective at stopping the biting. This teaches the puppy that biting stops the fun, but in no way ruins his relationship with you like yelling at him and scruffing him will.

Now is the age to build trust. Your dog is an infant, hes not trying to dominate you.

Replacing your hand with an appropriate toy tho, that, my friend, is spot on! :)
I should have read this first, makes perfect sense tho. I need to get him the "appropriate" toys soon. Any suggestions on what the best toys for teething are Criosphynx, or anyone else for that matter. lol

Now playing: Joss Stone - Victim of a Foolish Heart via FoxyTunes

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I should have read this first, makes perfect sense tho. I need to get him the "appropriate" toys soon. Any suggestions on what the best toys for teething are Criosphynx, or anyone else for that matter. lol

Now playing: Joss Stone - Victim of a Foolish Heart via FoxyTunes

Hi! ;)

When Chili was teething we would freeze his puppy kong (the light blue one) and there is also a "tough tire" thats a hard rubber tire he knawed on...the stuffies weren't doing it for him...if you have to put peanut butter on the toy so he'll use it, do that and then freeze it. It last longer and feels better. :)

Hope that helps. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd suggest getting any dog toys with no small parts.

As for his current toys, eeek! When he gets older, he is going to think that all shoes and socks are okay to play with. I'd reccommend if you don't want him eating your stuff, don't give him it

·
Registered
24 Posts
If your puppy is biting YOU then yelp really loudly. Almost like a scream. Why? Because in a pack, puppies play bite and when one puppy bites another puppy too hard they yelp really loudly. The teething puppy instantly stops because it sends a message, "I bit her too hard, and it hurt her so I am going to be more gentle or stop."

·
Registered
287 Posts
Our dog trainer taught us to do a very high pitched & fairly loud "ouch" when they use teeth. Worked like a charm - every time Chloe would immediatly lick the spot and sit back. She no longer is inapropriate.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Welcome!! And congrats on your new addition :)

I should let you know there is a rule around here that if you talk about a puppy you HAVE to post pictures of the puppy for us to fawn over :) LOL

One thing we did with our pups when they were crazy-teething-pirhanna's is take a towel (NOT a guest towel with embroidery on it ;) One you don't mind getting chewed) wet it and freeze it. It's crunchy and cool so it's nice on their gums. I've friends who've like those nylabones for teethers too :)

All toys should be supervised-especially with a puppy-so you can really try anything that's appropriate because you'll be watching him ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts