Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a post on here about using "Fetch" to exercise your dog. If you have read my posts I need to figure out how to give Dallas more exercise and decided "Fetch" would help. Dallas loves "Fetch", but when she brings the toy back she won't let go so I can throw it again. But she will happily play tug-of-war. I don't want to raise my voice to get her to let go, but am wondering if anyone knows a nice way to get her to let go. I've tried different words just in case someone else had a word they used.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I really wish that I could upload the video. The site won't allow it.

In terms of playing "fetch" and getting the dog to let go: the trick to training this is to turn your back to the dog and "ignore" him if wont let go of the ball..... The dog likes it when you throw the ball and by ignoring him until he drops it you can train him to drop the ball on command. Again, I wish I could upload that video....

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have been known to use two balls, so theres a trade involved.
With Murphy we just wait, if he is too excited to let go of a ball then we wait, we stand still and dont say anything. He will then wonder why we are not engaging and calm down letting the ball drop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really wish that I could upload the video. The site won't allow it.

In terms of playing "fetch" and getting the dog to let go: the trick to training this is to turn your back to the dog and "ignore" him if wont let go of the ball..... The dog likes it when you throw the ball and by ignoring him until he drops it you can train him to drop the ball on command. Again, I wish I could upload that video....
I had wondered if I should try this. Thank you for the suggestion!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With Murphy we just wait, if he is too excited to let go of a ball then we wait, we stand still and dont say anything. He will then wonder why we are not engaging and calm down letting the ball drop.
"2 balls" another good suggestion. Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts