Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
868 Posts
It happens! Aayla had a week where she seemed to regress in her potty training.

It started when she peed on her bed while we were gone at work. I had a potty pad in there but she has never used them. So I marked it up as her not knowing where to go and choose the wrong spot. I cleaned it with an enzymatic cleaner, threw the bed in the washer and turned around to find her peeing on a rug. Picked her up, took her outside and she finished peeing outside, so I praised and then cleaned up the rug inside. The next day my BF told me that she peed randomly on the hardwood in the middle of play (she tries to go for rug at least, typically she runs to the door) Then when I came home she pooped on the rug within minutes of me walking in. The next day she peed on her bed again. This was the worst she had been with accidents since we brought her home three weeks earlier at 8 weeks.

So we went back to square one. She was on a leash constantly, and at my side non-stop if she wasn't crated or in her play pen. She went out every 30-45 minutes. We did that for about 4 days before I noticed her leading me to do the back door when she wanted to go out. Then she got her freedom again. We have had a few accidents but that has been because we haven't watched the time or taken her out after high activity. If she had any more than 3 days of 'random' potty accidents (peeing with no warning) I would have taken her to the vet with worries of an UTI.

Just a reminder that even stern talking can have side effects! As hard as it is to not get mad or frustrated about it (Which I know happens!) take pup outside to finish any business (heavy reward if they do anything outside!) and place pup in their crate then just clean it up without saying anything.

· Registered
868 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya. So hard not to, but I do my best to be cheerful. I just got home for a lunch break with her only to find her having peed yet again, so bath number 2 it was and more enzymatic cleaner for her crate. I'm drained.

The mood in my home isn't very good. My boyfriend is concerned that for the past two months of having her I just haven't been myself... he's pretty much right. I'm just going through the motions of taking care of her and I'm borderline angry much of the time. Not sure what to do other than keep plugging forward. Being sick right now doesn't help, heh.
Its hard to be cheerful I know! I've had to bite my cheek a few times and spend moments to myself. Ugh, I wonder what it is about new puppies and getting sick! The night I brought Aayla home, both the BF and I got food poisoning. So sleeping on the floor to keep the puppy from crying all night + feeling like death + midnight potty runs + the resident dog hating the puppy = me crying almost all night long.

I've been extra on edge too since I brought Aayla home. I've had to learn to relax and stop getting mad at everyone because of my own lack of personal time and space. Find what makes you happy, breakfasts out with the BF? Hiking? Reading? Choose something that gets you out of the house and an hour or two away from working or puppy duties. It helps! I also suggest removing any material from her crate and treat her like she is 8 weeks and never had any potty training.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.