Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am pretty comfortable watching Levi and other dogs, but I'm realizing I have no idea what is acceptable behaviour from a puppy. When Levi was a pup and was annoying other older dogs, they would tell him off. I think Heidi is at a bit of a disadvantage, because Levi doesn't seem to tell dogs off very often (he has a very high tolerance for annoyances it seems).

Heidi seems to grab and hold onto to Levi, and he never says anything, but I can't help but feel as though it must hurt (she's bit me with much less intensity, and it definitely hurts). I've attached a video, I'm hoping multi-dog families can let me know if I should be intervening.

Crazy Dogs

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
That looks like pretty normal play to me. I've found that, if it is too much, or if she is hurting him, he will let her know. I can almost guarantee you that when she is biting him, she is getting mostly hair and only a little bit of skin, if any.

They are ADORABLE though.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh good, I'm relieved because they play together like that hard for about 15 minutes, and then she curls up next to him for a nap. :) This gets repeated about 15 times a day. :p

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Looks like what I saw when I got home today. From what I've seen the majority of both dogs and bitches seem to have an instinctive array of behaviors that they display with puppies which differ from the way they interact with other dogs.

Included in that is a tolerance for annoying behaviors and accurately correcting for behaviors that go beyond just annoying.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Levi's being so gentle with the baby!

If she pulled his hair or ears too hard he will either tell her off or stop playing. The only thing I watch out for with dogs playing like that is to make sure no one is biting too hard on the neck or trying to drag the other dog by the neck- but Heidi's much too small for that!

If you ever feel uncomfortable with play feel free to step in for a minute to get the dogs to calm down or pull the more aggressive player away to see if the more passive player will follow for more play or walk away for a break. They won't be offended by you stepping in! I use the cue "take a break" if two dogs are getting too rough at work and have them stand or sit apart until they calm down a little, and then I let them go back to playing.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Oh, jeeze...that is angelic play compared to what Pax was like with our neighbor when he was a pup! COMPLETELY normal...and looks like they are both loving it. Even if they get hyper excited, the cue to look for is if they both can pause and stop for a minute...even if they resume. If they can both pause, they are good. If they get over exited to the point where they cant control themselves, that is the point to step in a take a break.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh good. Thank you everyone :) I'm glad to hear that, they both seem to respect if one of them lets out a cry (admittedly, Levi is much better).

We do tell them to settle and separate so everyone can cool it for a sec. Levi just by a cue, but we need to grab Heidi at this stage. And yes, Levi is a sweetheart. He's really good.

Everyone was saying we'd get this puppy and Levi would become number two, or not our favourite, but I think the puppy has just reinforced to us what an amazing sweet boy he is.

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
951 Posts
What I see:

1 second mark, pup is running to the couch, Levi goes in and instigates 'play with me'

10 second mark, pup runs to you, Levi goes in and instigates 'play with ME!'

next full minute Play with face biting by pup onto Levi ensues, but both parties keep on playing. If pup was playing too rough for Levi, he'd start tolerating it, not playing back.

1:45 mark, pup breaks off play and circles around under coffee table. Both dogs have their heads under ready to play, but note who goes under the furthest to start playing again? Levi.

2:30 here I thought Levi might be getting tired of the rough play, but no, when pup gets distracted Levi wiggles out from under the coffee table and goes right to pup again, instigating play.

Clearly he doesn't have a problem with how the play is going as he is instigating the play just as much as the pup.

If pup play was a problem, Levi would let the play stop at many of the above noted instances.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I see:

1 second mark, pup is running to the couch, Levi goes in and instigates 'play with me'

10 second mark, pup runs to you, Levi goes in and instigates 'play with ME!'

next full minute Play with face biting by pup onto Levi ensues, but both parties keep on playing. If pup was playing too rough for Levi, he'd start tolerating it, not playing back.

1:45 mark, pup breaks off play and circles around under coffee table. Both dogs have their heads under ready to play, but note who goes under the furthest to start playing again? Levi.

2:30 here I thought Levi might be getting tired of the rough play, but no, when pup gets distracted Levi wiggles out from under the coffee table and goes right to pup again, instigating play.

Clearly he doesn't have a problem with how the play is going as he is instigating the play just as much as the pup.

If pup play was a problem, Levi would let the play stop at many of the above noted instances.
Thank you for the detailed observations! I'm happy that both parties seem to enjoy the play, and it's great because then they both sleep for a while afterwards. :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Levi loves his little sister. So cute, and again, totally normal play. As she gets older, if she is too rough he will disengage, usually by freezing and if she doesn't take the hint, he will tell her off. But while she is little, she can pretty much get away with anything. It must be nice to be that cute.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Levi loves his little sister. So cute, and again, totally normal play. As she gets older, if she is too rough he will disengage, usually by freezing and if she doesn't take the hint, he will tell her off. But while she is little, she can pretty much get away with anything. It must be nice to be that cute.
Agreed, I watch and I feel bad for him, but he always seems to come back for more. But I guess when she bites my ankles or face, I brush it off because she's so cute. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts