Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having puppy fever as usual, and thinking about Nextdog.
I am seriously considering a Rough Collie. I have a client dog- gorgeous,skateboard reactive, separation anxiety, over arousal, mouthy 2 year old who I have been working with for 8 months now and he is doing AMAZING. I don't know if he is typical for collies, but I want one like him! (I'm insane, I know).

Anyway, insight on the breed? I've only met a few, but they have all been great.

What are some upsides? Downsides? Grooming requirements? Quirks? Health issues to look out for?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...0203261399560772.1073741825.1382850075&type=3

·
Registered
10,887 Posts
They're generally easy going and gentle dogs. The Rough Collies I've had since a kid can be real lazy. lol None of them have been the most playful of dogs but Kenya does like to chase or be chased. I'd try encourage playfulness from a young age, if that's what you want. You will end up with lots of stray fur in your place. :D Collies do blow coat seasonally. The amount of grooming can vary somewhat depending on personal preference but you'll need to do at least some grooming with Collies. The biggest problems I've read about with Collies is eye problems. I haven't seen problems in any collies myself but there's plenty of info about it out there and I'd check with any breeder about it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Health issues: Hips and other typical mediumsized and large dog skeletal problems, eyes, sensitive stomach

Temperament issues: shyness, fearfulness, noise sensitivity

Grooming: surprisingly easy. Brushing regularly or at shedding season, bathing when dirty. My collie's coat has soft fringes which collect burrs and little twigs and in rainy weather, dirt and needs showering after walks.

My collie is bred in Finland and there may be differences between AKC and FCI collies.
Alva is towards...
Unfamiliar friendly people: friendly, calm, curious
Unfamiliar suspicious people: suspicious, defensive
Children: friendly, indifferent (although I add that collies might get overexcited about running and screaming kids and my dog is also sensitive so I have been extra careful that my nephew never tugs or twists her hair or body parts)
Unfamiliar dogs: friendly and social, although hates humping
Small critters: no experience but I assume relatively safe. Bullies the cat but does not hurt her.

Alva does not bark indoors and she has not shown any signs of guarding. But I would not recommend breaking into my place anyways because I cannot tell whether she would go all burglar alarm and guard dog mode or help carry the valuables to the van in hope of a walk.

After two Belgian Tervuerens living with Alva felt like watching a slow motion picture. I actually wondered if she'll ever become a teenager and start acting up and finding her energetic side. Didn't happen. She is lazy. She can manage for weeks on shortish walks and doing nothing, but she also enjoys any activities I have to offer. She has never destroyed anything but she likes to make a mess if the trash bag is forgotten inside.

This does not mean that Alva would not be suitable for different sports and activities. She has drive! And she is hungry. And she loves to work with her human. We do rally-O, obedience, light agility and have tried tracking and dog dancing. She loves to play fetch and tug and lights up when these games are brought up. She is not as intensive as a BC or as drivey as a working Malinois but she does not have to.

Unfortunately I have heard of rough collies that have no drive and no interest towards games.

Alva also goes nuts if my dad uses pressurized air in her presence or someone waters the flowers with a hose.

Alva is not interested in wild game. She does not chase things. She does not try to track deer.

Alva is also velcro. Ask her and she would follow me everywhere. At home she is rarely outside a circle with 2 m radius where I sit in the middle.

Alva has been the easiest dog to raise I've ever met.

And here is Alva's life in pictures: https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/alvatheroughcollie/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having puppy fever as usual, and thinking about Nextdog.
I am seriously considering a Rough Collie. I have a client dog- gorgeous,skateboard reactive, separation anxiety, over arousal, mouthy 2 year old who I have been working with for 8 months now and he is doing AMAZING. I don't know if he is typical for collies, but I want one like him! (I'm insane, I know).

Anyway, insight on the breed? I've only met a few, but they have all been great.

What are some upsides? Downsides? Grooming requirements? Quirks? Health issues to look out for?

I don`t have one, but I wish I will include one in my family in the near future. The rough collie is described as suffering from tartarus frequently, and for that reason benefitiating from dry food.

·
Super Moderator
5,258 Posts
I don`t have one, but I wish I will include one in my family in the near future. The rough collie is described as suffering from tartarus frequently, and for that reason benefitiating from dry food.
Dry food doesn't help with dental hygiene. If it is something that concerns you, get into a good regime of brushing your dog's teeth and feed raw bones like chicken wings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts