Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think Rottweiler's are difficult to take care of in the hands of a beginner level owner?

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Yes, very difficult. They are a large breed with a pretty bad reputation that is known to be hard headed and extremely stubborn that can be predisposed to aggression. Definitely not a dog I would recommend for beginners.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
It seems that when people ask a valid question of you, you start a new thread. Have you had any experience with dogs? What exactly are the qualities in a Rottweiler that attract you? I think all of us are here to help, why not stay in one thread so that we can have a dialogue, get to know you, offer some insights based on your replies?
http://www.dogforum.com/new-additions/bull-terrier-easier-handle-train-look-285034/

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
yeah Rottweiler are not the easiest breed...it also depends on the begonner of course.
some people just have a knack for this kind of dogs.
but general speaking they need certain things in an owner, mostly important a confidence and ability to handle a big, protective, sometimes a little bit independent thinking dog in any situation...this often comes only with experience not from books.

·
Registered
951 Posts
A Rott is not as easy of a breed to handle as say a lab, golden, or poodle, but it's tons more difficult.

Most breeds have things that make them challenging. (beagles can follow their nose blindly and turn their hearing off when sniffing something interesting, sled dogs breed can have a ton of energy and get destructive if not given enough exercise). For Rotts it's that they are big and powerful dogs who require a strong hand. The key is knowing what the challenge is and being prepared to meet it.

Note, a somewhat similar breed that is 'easier' is the boxer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We adopted a small rottweiller (a breeder in France is breeding small rotties.) She is still 31 kg and 55 cm, and is up to my knees (when her head is low) but she is so strong! We adopted her from shelter and she was supposed to have dog problem. We were so lucky, because she is actually a sweetheart. Only problem is on a walk when she gets excited with meeting new dogs or if other dog is barking at her. So it's a small problem, but we are working on it. So my experiance with rotties is very good. She is an adopted abandoned dog, but very nice, lives with two cats, visits small dogs monthly and loves them. Very strong, but not stuborn and all she wants to do is to be petted and cuddle. Actually all I have ever heard about them is how nice they are. But they need to be trained. Also people have screamed in fear when they see us walking. Especially woman. That is very sad for me... So be prepared to be judged by people.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I own a Rottweiler since 2012. Definitely not for beginners. It took me 3 years reading tons of books regarding the breed before deciding to own one. The actual events of raising and training a Rottie is very hard and none of the books I've read helped.

I disagree they are stubborn or hard headed, Rottweilers are smart dogs too. Great with kids, protective and sweet. They need consistent training and they are physically demanding.

They may have gained a bad reputation like pitbulls but those are the result of irresponsible dog ownership.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts