Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We rescued a 1 1/2 yr old rottie in April. She is very sweet and gets along great with our very docile older male. Both dogs are fixed and neither show dominance or aggression of any kind. The female has been urinating over night in my son's room and has destroyed the hardwood floor. About 3 x week I wake up early to discover another wet spot. I spray it with enzymatic urine remover spray for hardwood and she still seems to do it! We have been crate training her since we dont trust her not to do it while we are at work which is only 2 days a week approximately. I really don't want to crate her at night as she just lays around and is so good otherwise. She would be the perfect dog if she would just stop peeing in his room! I would close my sons door but he likes the hall light on and is just a toddler plus i don't want her going in another spot. HELP!!

·
Super Moderator
1,855 Posts
A few thoughts (apart from the first, in no particular order).

Has she had a vet check in case it is medical rather than behavioural?

Does she toilet before bed? Do you go out with her and make sure? Are you rewarding outdoor toilets (toilet training happens when the ability to hold her toilet comes together with the desire to hold it, in order to get her reward)?

Do you know what time it happens?

Has she ever been scolded for toileting indoors?

When you use the enzyme cleaner do you leave it down for 10 minutes before you wipe it up? The enzymes need time to work.

Can you use something else to block her access to the spot, either a baby gate or a piece of furniture? Or could you get a little night light for your son?

You may not have answers for these, it's just some things to consider.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for all the suggestions. I will definitely try the baby gate idea. And also I am using that cleaner but I wipe it up right away so I will let it sit longer..... just didn't want to saturate the floor anymore than it already is ruined. We do reward good potty outside as she always pees when the other one pees. Have not had a vet check yet but that will be the next step to check her kidney function etc. Thanks for the tips!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts