Dog Forum banner

Rotten Teeth & Gums In 6 Month Old Bitch

8K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Holly 
#1 ·
Hi our neighbour has decided to move home and have decided they no longer want one of there dogs, she is 6 months old and ridgeback possibly ridge back x collie, we have had her for 2 days trying to get her to settle in as next door dont want her around whilst there moving either, sadley tonight whilst cuddling up with my husband he noticed something wrong in her mouth he asked me to look so i opened her mouth and her back tooth was hanging and she has other teeth around this tooth that are all black and all grounded down to pretty much nothing and her gum is swollen all along this area of her gum, iv phoned out of hours vets nothing can be done until tomorrow, whilst i touched her tooth it broke in half and the bit thats fallen off it sharp and black in places and there's still a bit stuck in her gum, im really worried for her shes only 6 months old she shouldn't have rotten teeth ? should she ? i know there her baby teeth fallen out which i know is normal but they shouldn't be black and falling to pieces and her gum swollen? could she be lucky and it be just those few teeth or do you think we could be looking at possible gum disease
Very worried for her please if you have any advice for us please let us know we will be very happy to hear from you x

Charlene x

#2 ·
She just has a retained baby tooth. Some baby teeth get stuck even thought the adult tooth has come in. If they retain them teeth they can become rotten stuck in there. Also it makes it hard for the dog to chew because the tooth pushes in out of the gum since it is only attached by a small piece of tissue. It can cause the gums to become very irritated. I would rub my finger along the those teeth and see if any are very loose. If they are you could pull them or give her something to chew on that might possible work them out.

#3 ·
Theres no sign of the adult tooth yet so im not sure if there just falling out. I do hope it is what you say. she will let us stroke her gums and teeth and where her tooth has fallen out so i dont think shes in any major pain with it currently x the little bit of tooth thats still stuck in her gum is bedded in her gum its like a little point, will this come out on its own ? my husband says he thinks the root of the tooth is also exposed where the tooth and crumbled out rather than coming out in one nice piece x

#4 ·
Is the point you are seeing white or black? If white it could be the top of the adult tooth coming in. Continue to rub her gums it will help sooth them. Give her plenty of things to chew on. If she likes to play tug, play it a lot to help loosen the baby teeth and give her some gum relief. If you can post a pic so it will be easier to tell what you are seeing.. :)

#5 ·
The point has now come out we have a nice little dent where the tooth came out although we still have other black teeth but none of them are wobbly yet, will the vet remove the black teeth or shall we just play tug and leave them to naturally full out there not pretty looking being black but its whats ever best for her x

#6 ·
Her baby teeth may be unhealthy due to diet. She would have to be sedated for the vet to pull them. I would try playing tug for a few days and see if any of them loosen up. See if she will eat raw carrots. They are good for loosening up the baby teeth and can help with the rotten odor..:) Again if you can post a photo it may help.

#7 ·
Not to sure on how to do pictures would have to get my husband to do it, thank you for your advice, we know shes had a poor diet she was never fed puppy food and has been on working dog food since she was 9 weeks old and isnt a working dog at all, we will be taking her to the vets tomorrow, il let you know what they say x will give the carrots a try too along with tug of war x

#8 ·
her back tooth was hanging and she has other teeth around this tooth that are all black and all grounded down to pretty much nothing and her gum is swollen all along this area of her gum
tooth it broke in half and the bit thats fallen off it sharp and black in places

PLEASE STOP TOUCHING HER TEETH. DO NOT PLAY TUG OF WAR WITH HER.

Based on your description, I'm worried they are NOT retained baby teeth (the rest of the teeth are black??) Depending on what you mean by "tooth in the back"... dogs do NOT HAVE baby molars... just premolars, canines and incisors and by 6 months old she should have some permanent molars in the back by now (and if they are BLACK, that worries me.)

Please take her to the vet. BLACK teeth are not normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.