Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read this article: http://www.petmeds.org/petmeds-spotlight/what-is-a-rotation-diet-for-pets/ and was wondering if anyone actually does this?

I personally try to buy different protiens of taste of the wild but I'm wondering if creating a blend of flavors might be more benificial than my dogs eating one protein for a few weeks. Granted my dogs are not picky eaters and one of them has a stomach condition but was thinking a blend of the protiens she can eat might add some viriety of other food sources to their diets. Could also potientially mix in another grain free easily digestable brand as well I suppose...

Thoughts on the article?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I just read this article: What is a Rotation Diet for Pets? | PetMeds.org and was wondering if anyone actually does this?

I personally try to buy different protiens of taste of the wild but I'm wondering if creating a blend of flavors might be more benificial than my dogs eating one protein for a few weeks. Granted my dogs are not picky eaters and one of them has a stomach condition but was thinking a blend of the protiens she can eat might add some viriety of other food sources to their diets. Could also potientially mix in another grain free easily digestable brand as well I suppose...

Thoughts on the article?
Posted via Mobile Device
This is one from dog aware.com. I would not mix the proteins. If your dogs stomach can do this I would say go for it, it sounds healthier for the dog. I don't know where this idea that keeping their dog on the same food all the time is better for the dog. I would not keep my kid on the same food day after day why would I do this to my dog.

Variety is important no matter what type of diet you feed. Even if you use commercial foods, it is best to find at least two or three different brands, using different protein sources, and rotate between them, anywhere from daily to every few months.

Also, even “complete and balanced” diets may contain quite different levels of nutrients. If you always feed the same food, any nutritional deficiencies or excesses present in that food will affect your dog over time. The same is true if you feed different varieties made by the same company, since they tend to use the same vitamin/mineral formulations in all of their foods.

Your dog is also more likely to develop food allergies if fed the same food all the time. It takes time for an allergy to develop, typically months to years. Dogs that are fed the same food for extended periods of time will often develop allergies to one or more of the ingredients in that food. Variety is particularly important for puppies, since puppyhood is when the immune system learns which foods are normal and not a cause for reaction.

The only restriction to consider in terms of feeding lots of variety is to reserve at least some of the exotic proteins in case a novel protein is needed to test for or treat food allergies. There’s no need to feed venison, duck, rabbit, ostrich, buffalo, kangaroo and beaver to your dog. Save some of them in case they are needed in the future.
DogAware.com Articles: Introduction to Homemade Diets for Dogs

·
Registered
22 Posts
Our dog lives off of Blue Buffalo, it is a great food and she also eats only Blue Buffalo treats :). According to the Blue Buffalo representative, you can rotate to a different flavor of Blue after finishing a bag, so that is the amount of rotating we do. We stay with the same adult Blue but we try different meats each time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We take vitamins to PREVENT problems.The same applies to your dog.
Though your dog may appear perfectly healthy and happy now, if it’s not currently receiving the proper balance and quality of nutrients it requires, long-term problems may await. By giving your dog vitamin supplements now, you may help to prevent problems in the future.Give your dog, the food rich in vitamins and proteins for good health regularly.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
We take vitamins to PREVENT problems.The same applies to your dog.
Though your dog may appear perfectly healthy and happy now, if it’s not currently receiving the proper balance and quality of nutrients it requires, long-term problems may await. By giving your dog vitamin supplements now, you may help to prevent problems in the future.Give your dog, the food rich in vitamins and proteins for good health regularly.
If you are feeding a premium dog food the vitamins are not necessary. By alternating your dog food you get a heathy balance of nutrients.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts