Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The kibble we feed Molly comes in two different proteins (lamb and chicken), but are essentially the same otherwise. Is it better to rotate between them every time she gets a new bag, or should I feed her just one? Does it matter?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I feed Jayne TOTW and I rotate her proteins with each bag. I always slowly introduce her to the new one over the course of a week, but she's never had any problems. Unless your dog has a sensitive stomach or doesn't do well on certain proteins, it's a good idea to keep them interested in their kibble. I usually use Jayne's meals for training when I switch the protein since she's more interested in it when it's new. :D

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Is it food? Then Calypso is interested. ;)

The argument against switching food types has to do with multiple protein sources and allergies. Dogs can only develop allergies to things they've been exposed to. So, the argument goes, if your dog develops an allergy to chicken (the most common), then you ideally have lots of other options--a fish food, a venison food, etc. The fewer proteins, the more options you have.

With that said, some things are pretty common add-ins/fillers/treat foods and aren't generally seen as alternate protein sources: chicken, fish, beef, pork, sometimes lamb. Really people tend to think of all-fish, deer, and rabbit as the allergy alternatives. (or the crazy hydrolyzed protein food if the dog is allergic to all meat, and...yuck.)

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I think it's fine to pick 2 or 3 different flavors of food and rotate between them. So you could pick beef, chicken, and fish, then if your dog does develop an allergy, and you needed a novel protein, you'd still have a good variety to choose from.

Reactions: leaveittoweaver

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
The brand I am using comes in four types, he likes three of them so I rotate between them. I think it keeps them from getting bored! I mean if you had to eat the same thing every single day--that would be a real drag!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I think I'll rotate. She's had both, and does well on both. I've been trying for a while now to figure out whether she prefers one over the other, but she seems to enjoy something "new" more, no matter which flavor it is.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I think rotating with two-four different proteins is a good idea. And like someone else said, the if they develop an allergy you still have the option of a different protein.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The food i buy Arkwrights Complete comes in Beef or Chicken and I rotate the flavour each time I buy a bag

1 - 11 of 11 Posts