Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you get annoyed with dogs roaming the streets. I fear on the occassions that I do walk my dogs that they will get attacked by these dogs that are just roaming. Why cant ppl keep their dogs in their own yards, so all our dogs on leash are safe to walk.

·
Registered
92 Posts
some cases are they have an invisible fence system and the dog broke through, the dog got out by accident, broke off a chain, etc.
But yes, I agree...we've had some aggressive dogs in our backyards before...so bad that we couldn't even leave the house because they would start growling and charging at us.

I do wish people would keep better track of their dog

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, my neighbours have a JRT that always gets out. He chasing ppl over the other side of the road nipping at their ankles :mad: One guy actually kicked him and I couldnt blame him. Only the JRT got worse ofcourse. At times the horrible thing comes here and starts growling and barking at my front door in a savage way. If I want to go out I cant. If it happens again, I shall be ringing the ranger as Iknow where this one lives.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You know I feel the exact same way! Becaue honestly even if the dogs are sweet keep your dogs in the yard. They can get hit, lost..ect. I honestly want to pick them up and take them home. Find them a home with a fenced yard!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hate it. We don't walk our dogs around the neighbourhood anymore, too many dogs come out from unlocked gates and too small fences. I know where most of them are now, but I am scared that one might have moved in that I don't know about and it's not worth taking the chance for my dogs.

We usually drive to an open area eg beach, lawned foreshore area or oval and let them have a run. We don't really have on leash areas, everywhere you can have your dog off leash as long as they are under control and we don't have much population so we can usually find a quiet spot with no-one else to let them have a run.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same, I take them to parks up here, but if I see anyone coming and their dogs are offleash, then I get my dogs and put them straight in the car and go home. It really angers me that I can enjoy walking my dogs anymore :mad:

·
Registered
36 Posts
i woke up one morning to find the most gentile black lab at my door wanting to come in and play with my dogs! he lived near my house and got out of his electric fence thingy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Around my old neighborhood I didn't like walking my dog because of all the loose dogs roaming about and I didn't want to chance my dog getting attacked. Luckily, the neighborhood I live in now doesn't have many loose dogs out but I still like having someone walk with me just in case.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Know your local laws.

I don’t want to upset any one here, I know it is the world wide web and all, and there are people from other states and even countries, but this is specific to my situation. Please Please, read this with the right intent in mind, I am not a puppy killer, but a human life, and the life of a stray dog do not weigh the same in my mind.
You need to know the laws where you live and make sure you are safe within those laws.

Here in Pennsylvania, even before I had a dog, I had a firearms carry permit. Like any other state, there are rules and regulations regarding this. Pennsylvania is very specific on what to do in the case of a dog attack.

First, there is the “Dog Law” or dog bite law http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/Pennsylvania.html

When ever I see a dog roam lose, I remind the owner, there are strict laws concerning this in PA (Pennsylvania)
§ 459-501. Killing dogs; dogs as nuisances
(a) Legal to kill certain dogs.--Any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing other dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings, whether or not such a dog bears the license tag required by the provisions of this act. There shall be no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing.
(b) Private nuisance.--Any dog that enters any field or enclosure where domestic animals are confined, provided that the enclosure is adequate for the purpose intended, shall constitute a private nuisance, and the owner or tenant of such field, or their agent or servant, may detain such dog and turn it over to the local police authority or State dog warden or employee of the department. While so detained, the dog shall be treated in a humane manner.
(c) Licensed dogs not included.--Licensed dogs, when accompanied by their owner or handler, shall not be included under the provisions of this section unless caught in the act of pursuing, wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing any dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings.
http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuspa3ps459_502.htm#s501 I have this on me at all times. So far, no one has argued this with me on the streets.
Now you might wonder why I said earlier…
Here in Pennsylvania, even before I had a dog, I had a firearms carry permit. Like any other state, there are rules and regulations regarding this.
Pennsylvania IS in open carry state
This means I do not need a permit to open carry a gun with me as long as I am not in a car (in my specific area of the state) the only place where I would need a permit is in a city of the first class.
Yes there where dogs loose in my area, the owners now understand what can and will happen if their dog happens to harm mine, and what can legally happen if their dog happens to get lose and attack any one walking.

I have never had to shoot a pet yet, but the other owners around who like to think they can let their dogs free roam are all warned and they all know the local police is behind me 100% on this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts