Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my lab was playing outside and started limping. I went over and looked and she had ripped a piece of skin off the pad on both of her back paws. Her paws didn't bleed at all and we made sure they were clean and are trying to keep her off her feet as much as possible. Is there anything else we can do to help them heal faster?

·
Registered
7,579 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Did you take the dog to the vet to have the pads checked? If her pads are ripped they were either burned or cut by something. They need to be kept clean and possibly bandaged and the bandaged should probably be changed daily.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I have had my dog's pads cut so many times from running around so hard I just leave them alone to heal on their own. The first time it happened I took her to the vet and they sedated her and cut away the skin flaps hanging and cleaned them and bandaged it then gave her additional antibiotics to take at home. It was just such an ordeal and money expense and she was so loopy etc. she healed on her own without all that, just was a little miserable and limpy for a few days. but that's just me.

To PREVENT your dog's pads from ripping while playing make sure she plays in a soft area and gets breaks from playing if she is playing extra hard or put booties on her. The pads do tend to toughen up though if they are worked enough. Some dogs just have more fragile pads than others. Maybe get some advice from the vet and get some solution you can clean her feet in the future and ointment you can use after the pads are clean.

~MSE

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts