Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I signed up for House League at our agility school. It's basically a nice intro to what real trials are going to be like. I'm hoping to use this thread as way to track our progress and pin-point things we need to work on.

Today was our first day and we had a blast! I was so nervous because not only am I terrible at memorizing courses, I also have two left feet :eek: It was a lot of fun though, everyone was super supportive and Riley did great! I still have a lot of work to do with my handling skills, so if you guys have any tips and tricks, please share!

We had 3 runs today. 2 were time-based and 1 was point-based. I only have a video of the last run. My friend needs to send me the first one, so I'll post that later.

It's funny, everything seems to happen so fast during the run and then when I re-watch it, it looks so slow. There's a point in the video you'll see, and all I can think of now is "Why did I just watch him run into that chute?" haha. Overall, I'd say it was a good day, I actually expected to do much worse in terms of memorizing the courses! Still need a lot of work on my timing and crosses though.

(Okay, I give up trying to get this video to embed, sorry..) Edit- aaannd it magically decides to work lol.

Anyway, I'm super happy with how well Riley did! He was awesome at reading the course/obstacles (unlike me :rolleyes:) I was also really nervous about having to crate him between each run since he hasn't been crate trained since he was neutered as a pup but he did excellent! I put him beside his buddy from class and after a bit of door scratching in the beginning, he settled down really well! He was reluctant to go in after each run as well, but didn't protest once inside. I'm going to buy him a crate and start working on re-training him at home.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
He's so cute! I love when he ran into the chute, he was just like "What the heck?!" It looks like you guys were having a blast, and I'm totally jealous of that facility!

Reactions: Rileysaur

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
this really makes me want to do it with jessie! oh my looks so so fun and what a blast!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this really makes me want to do it with jessie! oh my looks so so fun and what a blast!
Go for it! I'm sure you'll both love it :D

Reactions: crazy

·
Registered
880 Posts
Lovely. I'll live vicaryously through you. I love watching agility and loved doing it too.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
You guys look great! And this was his first trial! You guys did wonderful. I am also someone who use to struggle with memorizing courses and am famous in my family for having 2 left feet (Busted my head open in a flat drive way walking to my car in rain.) and I found that really the more you do it, the easier it gets. How long do they give you to walk the course before? Honestly. I will walk the entire time I am allowed to walk. Then I am one of the fools that runs the course like my dog is behind me. I always try to run it like I plan on running it with my dog. It amazes me how doing that really helps embed it into my brain. Because I have been pretty unlucky some days with being the LAST dog that runs. Lol.

You guys looked great though. I give Riley props for being committed to the backwards chute entrance. Lol.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Aw well done to both of you that was awesome! He was so freakin adorable running up to the chute like huh?!

He is SO cute!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the support guys!! It really was a lot of fun! I laugh every time I watch him run into the chute.

@jclark343 That totally sounds like something that would happen to me :p We got a fair bit of time to walk the course maybe 5-10 mins? I'm really bad at averaging time, but I got to walk each at least 3-4 times. I'll definitely try running it next time, but I gotta admit by the last run I was out of breath from just walking haha.

Here's the the video of the very first run which was point-based. Our instructor really emphasized sticking to our training as opposed to getting the best score/time. Riley is wishy-washy with his contacts so I tried to emphasize them. There's also a point towards the end where he saves my butt!

Reactions: jclark343

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
He really did save your butt there! That was adorable. Like, no worries mom, I got this!

Just something I noticed about your contacts, you do something similar to what I do/ use to do. I use to run to the contact and then bend over. My trainer said bending over is forward motion (at least with your shoulders) and may inadvertently push the dog off the contacts. So what I make the conscious effort to do now is run to the contact and stand up straight while giving her her touch command. Then when she does it, I throw the treat in front of her.

Also, do you have treats in your hand during the run? That's interesting!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@jclark343 That's interesting and makes sense. I'll see if that works next class. He always flicks to the side like he did on the a frame in the video so it makes sense to try throwing the treat straight out.

I probably did. Is that weird? I use cheese so I kept a few in my hand and loose in my hoodie pocket just to be prepared to reward his contacts. We're in the novice house league so we were allowed to use whatever rewards we wanted.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
He always flicks to the side like he did on the a frame in the video so it makes sense to try throwing the treat straight out.
That is another thing I recently got told by my trainer. Try not to reward when they flick off to the side. She said what that eventually can lead to is them bailing off the side. That's something new I have to work on. Lol.

You're so lucky to have these type of house leagues. It seems like a great stepping stone!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Those were great videos! I'm totally inexperienced, but you did better than a lot of folks at the trial I watched recently! Keep at it!

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Y'all look absolutely fantastic! What a great first time out!

(Also I want a sheltie again lol)
The trainer at our local school has one and he is so cute. Apacheeee!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So we had our 3rd fun-run today! Riley was soooo awesome!! I'm so proud of him :D As my instructor said, he loves it, he loves to work. I'm still working on my dexterity and spacial awareness but I think gotten a bit better! As always, tips and suggestions are welcomed!

The first run was a point-based match. 60 secs to gather as many points as possible. I'm not sure why he didn't take the first tunnel, maybe it was too dark? He also saved my butt a couple times again. My timing/crosses are so off lol

Unfortunately, only the last bit of the 2nd run got recorded. I included it because I love how at the end the person recording was like "she's gonna kill me.." because she missed the first half :D My instructor told me that I didn't commit to the first tunnel and pulled away too soon.

3rd run also went pretty well. Again, there's something with that blue tunnel that's throwing us off :p

And @Shandula, this is literally how he's sleeping right now. He loves his sheep!

Reactions: Sha and Shandula
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.