Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this last week the managers of the original franchise of the doggy daycare I work at came to visit and give us "tips". One of these "helpful tips" includes not allowing dogs to nap or rest. We have to keep the dogs moving at all times.

I'm beyond annoyed because dogs aren't meant to play for 10 hours straight with no rests. There are many dogs that get cranky when they get tired, plus we have dogs who have been boarding for a week and even more that sure as hell couldn't handle it even if they were a hardcore working malinois. Their reasoning is that they want the dogs to be worn out, but we send dogs home and they sleep the rest of the day even with their occasional rests. We also can't make everyone play when it's 90 DEGREES OUTSIDE.

We also aren't allowed to let dogs wrestle for more than 30 seconds. We aren't allowed to crate and rotate dogs that don't get along, we have to keep one outside with one group with one person, the other inside with the rest, which is not only risky but only works when the weather is mild.

I really hope that this just blows over and my manager realizes that these new policies will cause much more stress to both the dogs and the employees.

/end rant

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Those are terrible rules- do the managers actually have any significant experience with dog handling, health, behavior?

The last daycare I worked at was never a great daycare, but they didn't care what I did so I'd go to work, handle my group however I wanted, and get paid. But then three years after I was hired they hired outside management who had never worked with animals in their lives and made all of these stupid rules. Like we had to carry spray bottles on us at all times and our first strategy for managing dogs should always be to spray them with water. So I quit. And I got hired by a new dog daycare that actually understood dog behavior where I have learned quite a bit myself.

Do you have managers/supervisors/shift leaders at the daycare you work at that don't agree with the new rules? Could you talk to them about your concerns? Sometimes when my boss makes a rule that doesn't make sense the shift leaders don't enforce it and it eventually passes.

If you don't and you're stuck managing dogs in a way you don't feel comfortable with, I would get a new job. If there are other daycares or boarding kennels in your area it's easy to get a job with your experience. I couldn't use a reference from my boss because I didn't tell her I was looking for a new job but I had several sympathetic supervisors that said I could use them for a reference. Plus when I explained why I was leaving my old job in my interview for my new job they completely understood and agreed that those were bad policies.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Oh my gosh, no rest, that is craziness. Hopefully your manager recognizes that these rules are craaaazy.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My manager has limited knowledge of dog behavior, so she just trusts everything these people say because they all went through the KPA. I honestly think the outside people are more concerned with their image than the welfare of the dogs. It's still early on, so I'm hoping some things change.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Not all owners want their dogs exhausted, part of the reason I only send my dog twice a week is that she is so tired when she gets home that I don't get to do anything with her! This is not the fault of the daycare however, they tell me she maintains a pretty consistent schedule of 1hr hard play, 30mins nap, repeat. She also gets a little cranky after playing too long and the nap refreshes that! They sometimes just put her in a separate room to make her nap, if she starts playing cranky.
When I work full time I am going to alternate having a walker come and sending her to daycare, as she would just be exhausted all the time if she was sent to daycare every day. They will lose customers who actually want to play with their dog and walk them and train them after daycare if they send home exhausted piles of fur.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Good grief! Insane. This is another good reason to thoroughly check out any doggie day care or boarding facility before you trust your dog to their care. I'd never leave my dogs in the care of a place with that policy. Not that I use or would use doggy day care but if I did.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
They went through the Karen Pryor Academy??? That's so sad and disheartening. I guess you can give people the information and they can pretend to agree and to have achieved an advanced level of training and still be idiots.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
My manager has limited knowledge of dog behavior, so she just trusts everything these people say because they all went through the KPA.
That's very unfortunate. So far I've only done the Foundations course (Hopefully starting the Professional course next year!), and there is a ton of very valuable, practical information in there. I'm very surprised about that.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Get in there and wake them up! Prod and poke them and make them run around and if any of them start getting snarky with another dog, whatever happens, do not separate them. Yeah, sounds like good advice from KPA grads.

I feel for you and hope the new policy is ignored by everyone working there.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've never used doggy daycare or worked in doggy daycare, but anyone who's owned a dog can see that those rules are nuts. Different dogs are going to react differently to situations, just as different people do. My last dog would play with other dogs until he dropped. My current dog will play with them for a while, then nap, then decide to play again--he does the same thing with me. Beyond that, dogs of different ages have different needs for rest. Puppies and older dogs are going to have a greater need for naps (just like little kids and older people frequently nap during the day).

Trying to treat all dogs in a completely uniform way doesn't take into account that dogs don't all react in the exact same way to the same situation any more than people do--and that should be apparent to anyone who's spent any time with dogs at all, much less alleged professionals who are supposed to be running a doggy daycare.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I'd like to see if they can make Kuma play. They only way to get him excited non stop is to use treats and get him to do anything and everything. (And he will do it until he is exhausted.)

In any case, those rules are stupid.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
If I found out a doggy day care was doing that to my dogs...keeping them moving and not allowed to sleep for hours on end. I would be LIVID with rage.

HaHa, especially...if he's too active, or stressed, it's not good for his bloat condition. He actually needs to rest at least a half hour before eating and a half hour after eating and not be allowed to be excited, stressed, or pumped up from play. All the medical research I did on bloat, suggests having one's dog Relaxed before eating.

Tell your manager that their policy could end up killing someone's dog!

My dog Jaya, I worry about her being left at my vet's when I need to board her, but at least I know they don't make the dogs stay active all the time. Jaya, being a high strung animal anyways, and very easily stressed by people being near by, would probably freak if someone kept going up to her to keep her moving and not allow her to lay down and relax....as much as she can in her state of mind. She's already on high alert most times, ready to dodge and run and hide if she thinks she's in danger...which is almost always.

Also as some here said, some people might not want an exhausted dog once home...maybe they go jogging with their dog or like to go play frisbee with it.

Stormy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts